Do brushless motors rust?

Bill Fleming

Good Morning all,

I've just joined the Forum - what a great place for a chat about model flying.

I've been flying mostly slope gliders for  30 years, on and off, designed a few myself but never published any plans.  Mostlyy, I fly off parts of the Black Mountains on the border with Wales.

Now I'm having a go at electric gliders, starting with the Easy Glider Electric using the brushless upgrade. I keep the model in a garage from where I can take it fully assembled to a field 5 mins walk from the house. But the garage can be damp in wet weather.  Is the motor likely to rust in these conditions and should I bring the plane indoors?

Bill 

Advert

• 2 months later...
There's also a good argument for not letting batteries get to cold most get very lazy as the temp approaches 0 and while I've never experienced it I'm told serious freezing conditions can kill them (Timbo will know more) also I would have thought that damp contacts on any battery would be a serious No No

• 2 weeks later...

Electric motors do rust.  Some of the cheaper far-eastern ones are delivered with disappointingly pre-rusted iron laminates.  I know this as I always have to take motors apart as soon as I get them - don't know why I do this, maybe I should see someone about it.

But, more to the point, all your other hard earned gear is susceptible to moisture too.  I can't keep mine in the house either, so I keep a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the shed.  Not brilliant for the carbon footprint, I accept, but neither is regularly replacing a lot of manufactured electronic equipment.