Upgrading to digital access

simon burch

Posted by David... on 16/08/2014 10:10:07:

Good for you John - people power, it is clear they have some ability to resolve this, but real test will be at renewal and I'd advise you to check carefully at the end of the new agreement.

Well, almost a year on, and things didn't really work out how they were supposed to.

As you'll recall (or see from reading the previous pages here) I took out a "digital only" annual sub last August for £20, overlapping with my already paid-for Print +Digital sub that run until December 2014. Well the print issues kept arriving in January, February, etc. etc. Given the hassle of getting the digital access restored, I didn't dare 'complain' and risk losing the digital access again...

So now my renewal letter has arrived, inviting me to renew my "Print + Digital" subscription. I've done so and will be paying £12.24 a quarter from August or September.

That means that a year ago I was getting the mag and access to the digital archives for £36/year. I then paid £20 in August which resulted in me getting the digital access back and somehow also still getting the paper mag from January to August. And I'm now paying £49 a year (less fourpence) for what I used to get for £36. Is this progress? dont know

Edited By John Privett on 14/07/2015 23:44:04

Advert

David..., I agree. I had a discussion via email with a very nice lady from subs; she informed me that someone had to spend several hours each month to convert the digital pre-press images to be suitable for the web viewer. in my mind, that doesn't justify a £15 /year charge to every subscriber (which is what they've effectively done).

I used to work in R&D for the printing industry, we had a workflow that generated PDF 'magazines' directly from the RIP (the computer image processor), so you could submit a job to generate the printing plates and get an e-magazine, all in one hit; the cost of doing that is pretty negligable.