Servos

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what peoples preferences are with regard to servos. Being relatively new to the hobby I have mainly used Futaba servos in airframes as I knew what I was buying.

I've recently discovered that Hitec servos are better value in terms of £ and spec. Is this false economy? Does anyone favour one servo or another, if so, why?

For example, I bought some HS81's to go in my Tiff build but found that I couldn't step away from the Acrowot that i just bought and have decided to kit them out in that. The remaining servos will be cheap futaba ones but i am going to need to restock for both my chipmunk and Tiff (when its finished). 

I know I'm asking something very subjective and what peoples preferences are, but I would  like to hear them (I'm not trolling, honest guv ).

Cheers / CS

Advert

Futaba, I am still using some 128's that came with a Challenger set, 23 years ago. Hitec servos are fine, HS 81's (Now 82's) are surprisingly powerful for their size, but I would always go for the metal gears, the plastic gears will not stand any rough treatment.

I've just swapped out an FPS26 because I couldn't find a spare output arm for it - teh retaining screw had also seized in the brass inseert of the output shaft. I.ve also got a coupel of FD16s floating around, retired now but kept as a reminder of what we used to think of as fast!

I've got some 'DongYang' servos from Giantcod - just over £3 each and they seem quite well made so I've ordered some more.  double ball bearing, 3kgcm.  They've worked on flaps so far, time to try them on main controls next.