Bad EEPROM on Taranis

Spice Cat

Good afternoon,

After months of faultless service with my Taranis, I have hit a problem with reading/writing the EEPROM.

Apoligies if this has been raised before but I have looked and cannot find an answer on line.

I am using what I believe is the current Open TX version being 2.08 July 14th 2014.

Last night I updated settings on my Pawnee and believed it had saved. This morning when switching on the Tx it came up initially with throttle warning then when I hit a button, it took me to the calibration screen. I calibrated then saw all my model memory had been wiped. I plugged into the computer and called up my saved settings from the previous week. I wrote these to the TX and it appeared the copy went ok. Upon unplugging the Tx, it came upwith "Bad EEPROM Data" then "Re formattingEEPROM".

I cannot get any of my save files to write.

The odd thing is that on sticks screen the format is RETA but on the mixes it is TEAR.

Cannot begin to understand what I have done. I was messing with the desk top computer and my laptop and cannot remember if I did a system restore on my laptop.

Help appreciated.

Any ideas????

Advert

Would you believe that I opened up the old version, 1.52, of Companion 9x and that works ok.

Give me strength! At least I know it's a software problem and not a fault with the set. I tried earlier to bind an rx and couldn't. Then found the tx was set for 16ch.embarrassed

Live and learn. No doubt somewhere in my 2.08 software there is a tick where is shouldn't be or vice versa. All I have to do is find it.....

SC - I know this sounds daft - but it sounds like your Taranis has reverted to version 1! I'm not saying it has - but these are all the symtomes! It works with C9X ver 1.52 and when we went to version 2 of the Tx software there was a change in the format of the EEEP files - so when you update it automatically rewrites them in the new format.

Have you actually checked in the Radio Set up screen that the version is definately 2.0.8?

BEB

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Screen 4/7 shows version opentx-x9-v1.1.02

As I am totally brain fogged at present, how do I update the radio. I have tried plugging it into computer, open up the 9x 2.08 version, then tried updates of which there are none.

Help please.....

Cheers everyone. Bob, I tried to reply to your PM but my internet connection broke down and my work computer will not allow such frivolity.
I think I may have found a slight problem with my laptop in that I moved a number of files fron C to E drive to free up some space and the DFU Utility from Zadig may have been one of them. I need to relocate it and send it back.
I tried to re update the Taranis only to be told that the path to DFU Util was missing.
Still love the Taranis though.

Well the saga continues.

I have updated the Taranis Open 9x software; simples.

Now when I plug the Tx in, it will read the radio but when I go to update the tx, it opens Verion 2.0.11 variant 216. I then hit the write to Tx and a dialogue box 'DFU Util write firmware to radio' then it fails to load.

If I write to the Tx it works but as the Tx is on an older version, it comes up 'Bad EEPROM' again and reformats.

It's almost like the Taranis is incapable of updating its firmware.

I will be going to the Southern Model Show on Saturday and if Hobbyking are there, I may drop it into them.

SC I'm away from home for a week so can't try anything but the following thought is niggling me.

When you get to the point where it says bad eeprom, is there any option available to update the eeprom?

I just seem to remember that going to v2.*, there was a change of eeprom format. So you upgrade the Tx firmware OK, but the new firmware can't use the old eeprom (the model memories).

I remember that if you select the right option, the tx updates the currently loaded eeprom to the new format.

Chris

No, bad eeprom comes up on the Taranis display then it automatically goes into reformat. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the DFU as I tried Zadig before without success.

Tried downloading recently and it does not install as it finds no devices. If I plug in say a mouse, it finds that, reinstalls a driver and the mouse packs up working. Same with the taranis. If I install Zadig it does not 'find' the tx.

OK, I'm not being much help from a distance then, but I'm still going to try. So it seems to be a connecting the tx to the PC issue? Zadig exists to help with USB drivers for just this problem, but it is easily possible to use the wrong settings in zadig.

Somewhere else, maybe in another taranis thread, we've helped someone else find the right settings. I'll have a trawl through if I have time later, or you might find it yourself.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/09/2014 19:01:53

• 3 months later...