ARTEX exTRIM 3D Build Thread

Brent

Ok so after deciding to return to the hobby while I recover from a few medical problems I thought id get few planes again and try and have some fun.

So after paying a visit to Leeds model Center at crossgates I came away 200 quid lighter :/.

Decided a nice quick way back into the air that's not ARTF will be this little extrim 3d. never heard of artex but the wood looks to be stamped with graupners name so that's possibly a good sign. The kit was 69.99 but when you add a tranny n receiver and lipos and other stuff it all adds up. just unboxing now so will take some photos and get them on here asap. anyone built and flown this model?extrim3d_1big.jpg

Advert

Ok so the instructions are as much use as a chocolate fire guard. no English no description just lots of exploded diagrams with lines in all directions. talk abou head scratching. luckily trial fiting and so on has got me through ok. heres tonights update. excuse the make shift building board but iv not had time to build a proper one yet,

20140913_191736.jpg

20140913_191755.jpg20140913_191725.jpg

20140913_195658.jpg

20140913_195709.jpg

20140913_195736.jpg

20140913_205133.jpg

20140913_205229.jpg

Accuracy of parts fitting are spot on. iv yotubed the model and it seems its been around over 7 years so im wondering if its just a batch of old kits Leeds models have bought to sell back on. as I say instructions are useless but everything fits very well indeed it just leaves you abit clued up as to how far you get before you can run some cyno on the joints to move to next part and so forth. If id have been abit better health wise the fus would be done and id be on the wing right now. anyone with some experience could build this in under 48 hours. maybe 3 evenings 4 at a push, Was it worth 70 quid. il let you know when iv finished building it because the jurys still out haha.

last time I went into a model shop which was in fact Bentley at Doncaster I maxed out my 24hr old credit card of best part of 1100 quid followed by 2 hard years paying it back lmao. lesson learned very quickly.

Colours will be solarfilm transparent blue with white solartrim for the upper. my sneaky way ov avoiding having to paint the cowl haha.

yeah the cubs certainly going to be a big build so I thought something like this will get me in the air quickly and brush up a few building skills. I almost bought the wot 4 kit but trying to stay away from glow. small electric and petrol engine for the cub.

Im currently picking the cyno off my fingers thinking here we go again the joys of cyno :D

Posted by Brent on 13/09/2014 22:21:59:

last time I went into a model shop which was in fact Bentley at Doncaster I maxed out my 24hr old credit card of best part of 1100 quid followed by 2 hard years paying it back lmao. lesson learned very quickly.

Colours will be solarfilm transparent blue with white solartrim for the upper. my sneaky way ov avoiding having to paint the cowl haha.

yeah the cubs certainly going to be a big build so I thought something like this will get me in the air quickly and brush up a few building skills. I almost bought the wot 4 kit but trying to stay away from glow. small electric and petrol engine for the cub.

Im currently picking the cyno off my fingers thinking here we go again the joys of cyno :D

LoL credit cards !!! You sound like me....I did that to....steep learning curve...It would have been worse if the plane you sunk into it on credit was all smashed up but the bill was there still to pay......not good sad

So its electric your going for, thats a bit more head scratching lol.....

Nice an clean though and reliable to....Hopefully you will be flying it by next Saturday Brent

ready for next saterday....possibly. although iv just realized I didn't pick up a dam y lead or extension lead, yes its electric which is better for me at the moment because with glow engines theres breaking the engine in and constant messing around with mixture and having to refill etc, so for me at the minute constantly bending down and standing up is a problem at the moment due to a pipe coming out the side of my stomach that's linked to my bowel so I can pump a liquid feed in bypassing my stomach. so electric seemed the less hastle free option for now. by time the cubs done il be in the clear and all healthy again fingers crossed and bending down on hands and knees for long periods of time wont be too much of a big deal.

Leeds always do me a bit of discount, I had to show my face a few times first though. Bentley is pretty well stocked but is not run by modellers now, so not what it was. Barnsley is just up road from our club..Don Valley, Carcroft.

Have a visit sometime if you like, we have quite a few lads from out your way, bring your insurance and have a flysmiley

John

Hey guys no updates been unwell the last few days so spent a lot of time sleeping. Feeling half decent tonight so going to try squeeze an hour or 2 in tonight after nurses been. Not got as far as the wings Simon b, will have all been well tonight. I intend to finish the fus. only have the front upper decking and rear decking to do and the wing hatch.

Edited By Brent on 16/09/2014 19:15:41

Ok so iv just ordered off hobbyking for the first time. fancied an electric glider for some time now so ordered there laser cut kit of the Sunbird Electric Glider. looks similar to the bird of time... also thinking of kit bashing the fus to a nicer shape by rounding off the sharp lines of the fus. anyone recommend what motor and esc and battery to get from hobbyking because im a newbee to elec models. als0o has anyone built this model yet? so I have another model to build after this ones finished.

Edited By Brent on 16/09/2014 19:51:20

Ok so iv still not got anything done. been too busy at hospital and feeling unwell. however iv slept most of today and not long since woke up so its going to be a long night and considering I feel fairly good im going to spend a few hours on the xtrim.

The sunbird kit turned up today from hobbyking and must say looks to be good quality wood. instructions are better then the xtrim as well haha. Will include pics when I upload pics of the xtrims progress.

Well here's tonight's updates. Fus decked though I am not happy with the laser cut turtle deck sheeting. it worked out short and does not meet properly on the upper center spar. luckily I will be able to either fill it or cut a thin slither of sheeting to slot in. wing has been built. this was actually a very easy wing, just dry fit it all together then just run some thin cyno over the whole structures joints. took no more then 10 minutes per wing to assemble and glue. and further 10 minutes to join together and sheet the center section. also enclosed a pic of what they call instructions. all in all I am happy with tonight's progress. only the rudder and stab and elevators and ailerons to make. Cant fit the motor yet because I need stand offs for it.

20140919_014924.jpg

20140919_021002.jpg

20140919_021014.jpg

20140919_021323.jpg

20140919_021338.jpg

20140919_022842.jpg

20140919_025531.jpg

20140919_025550.jpg

20140919_025601.jpg

20140919_034010.jpg

20140919_034043.jpg

20140919_054926.jpg