Howard mettcalfs F4 phantom.

Brent

Does anyone remember the kit? could be built as electric or with an engine on the front. I once built one but it went up in a big curve and refused to pull back out when it rolled onto its side and headed back down to terrafirma. The problem with that was I had full elevator to get it off the grass and quickly found out I couldn't let the elevator go because it would have just fell out the sky so I think I had the cg wrong. I was 15 at the time and proud that it had left the ground because many members had tried with similar jet designs and never got them off the ground. now im 28 cough wiser im looking for this kit again. I remember it was blue foam wings with a plastic fus. was a nice little kit sure as hell hope I could drop on another for a winter build.

His site still lives but was last updated back in 2007 so I doubt the number and email address will work for Phil Dorren. bought the rights to the phantom

Advert

Hi Brent, I had a HM Phantom with an OS25FSR in it including 2 bulbs down the tail pipes with orange tinted Perspex linked through a micro switch so they came on at about 3/4 throttle. I flew it for quite a while and had great fun with it and don't recall it having a nasty habits. To the best of my knowledge as KA says they closed down some years ago but someone might have a kit tucked away somewhere if your lucky. Linds

Have got a professional video of Sandown Park 1986 with HM talking about his range of models including the Phantom. Hard to credit that was almost 30 years ago!

Just had a look at the vid, actually 1988 Sandown. Price for the Phantom kit was £29.95 and the recommended engine was an OS.10. Plastic blow moulded fuz, blue foam wings covered with PVA applied brown wrapping paper and painted. Those were the days!

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/09/2014 19:35:21

On his website it does state that in 86 RCM&E did a review on his kit. aswell as 2 other mags. infact heres the quote

Quotes:

RC Soaring Digest USA July 86 - "spectacular moulded fuselage ....a work of art and worth the price....real good, stable flyer"

RCM&E - "responsive and doesn't have any bad habits"

RC Model World Oct 86 - "Moving around the sky at speed the Phantom certainly looks the part, portraying the large menacing bulk of its full size counterpart ......it certainly goes together easily

But yeah id love to get one of these kits now. iv emailed the new owner about possibly buying one but his contact details were lst updated in 2007. fingers crossed he may produce one to order or may for an order of several because with todays technology im sure a pair of twin edf motors it would be a blast along with micro retracts

I paid a mere £15 for the kit from a club member those where the days when kits were falling off shelves at such cheap prices. im no fan of arf's id rather buy wood and a fresh pack of blades and glue and build. flying is only half the fun with this hobby designing and building from kits and plans makes the other half.

Lindsay I do believe you did the bat thing build and designed it. have to say it does look quite a fun characteristic model.

Posted by Brent on 20/09/2014 21:42:52:

But yeah id love to get one of these kits now. iv emailed the new owner about possibly buying one but his contact details were lst updated in 2007. fingers crossed he may produce one to order or may for an order of several because with todays technology im sure a pair of twin edf motors it would be a blast along with micro retracts

I'm not so sure...........maybe if it was produced as a foamy, but I reckon the original would be too heavy for EDF. to perform well. Don't forget that the originals were run on OS10s and 15s which for their size were powerful little engines giving a good power/weight ratio hence the reports of a blistering performance.

I have both a Tornado and an F15 kit in the loft, Am currently considering what electic motor to put in it for a build this winter, after all the real one is sometimes referred to as the electic jet. The foam wings may be a little the worse for storage so will make a built up wing for it and put servos in the wings.

Max