Table saws

Andy.I

I have a Proxxon KS230E saw which, while very useful, doesn't really do enough. I looked at the Proxxon FET table saw which offers a much larger working area and tilting blade etc, but I have read some poor reports about it.

Looking at larger alternatives I've come across a number of 8-inch / 200mm / 210mm table saws such as the Scheppach HS80 (8-inch) table saw, and the rather interesting Evolution FURY6 210mm Multipurpose Compound Mitre/Table Saw which has a multi-funtion CTC blade which will cut wood, non ferrous metal and plastic.

Does anybody have any experience of these saws for modelling or could they make any particular recommendation please?

Advert

well - forget all poor reports and buy the Proxxon saw! I have the older version (FKS), the main difference is that on the new one it is easier to clear out the saw dust.

I absolutely love this machine and I have used it also for several tasks outside the focus of the modeller like cutting my oak floor boards in my new house.

The quality of the cuts is great the blades last long and work also well on aluminium. The machine is stable, the table surface is machined aluminium, it is small enough to put it away easily, The parallel guide is precise, the noise is limited by a belt drive. I don't know what can be criticised.

VA, table saw department

Hi. I to have a proxxon table saw the first one I bought the motor burned out very quickly I sent it back & they replaced it with a another new one which has been very good- 5 years now. I did get Makita 85m/m X 1/32 tungsten blade for it which proved to be brilliant at cutting most things including Alum& thin brass ,so I have no complaints with it. I did fix the fence{ extending it } so it would lock up for & aft to stop the fence moving .

It looks as if I've got a change of plan! I've just found something I thought was as rare as rocking horse droppings for sale: a Dremel 4" table saw with a selection of seven blades.

From what I've read this is the one to have. The only drawback I can see so far is that it needs a mitre gauge, which shouldn't be hard to get, and there seem to be plenty of parts available for it, even if they are in the States.

Unless I hear any howls of protest and dire warnings about it, I'll drive over this afternoon and give it a good inspection - assuming it's okay I'll hand over £60 for it.

Posted by Andy.I on 03/10/2014 12:37:05:

I have a Proxxon KS230E saw which, while very useful, doesn't really do enough. I looked at the Proxxon FET table saw which offers a much larger working area and tilting blade etc, but I have read some poor reports about it.

Looking at larger alternatives I've come across a number of 8-inch / 200mm / 210mm table saws such as the Scheppach HS80 (8-inch) table saw, and the rather interesting Evolution FURY6 210mm Multipurpose Compound Mitre/Table Saw which has a multi-funtion CTC blade which will cut wood, non ferrous metal and plastic.

Does anybody have any experience of these saws for modelling or could they make any particular recommendation please?

For future reference for others the evolution table saw is only ok in construction but the blade is the mutts wotsits, I use the compound mitre saw with their same design blade in a professional capacity and the cleanliness of the cut and longevity of the blade is very good, it does indeed cut most metals with care and this doesn't seem to blunten it either, as for the table saws suitability for modelling purposes I reckon it prob has to large a saw curf so wasting lots of material