Black horse Fieseler Storch

ARC

Thanks Shaun

Its a shame that it is not standard Humbrol or profilm colour But no worries, I have a car paint supplier not too far away so as you suggested I will get it scanned .

I was hoping you made the plug from plaster of paris or expanded poly. I was going to fit a self starter but the cowl need a 10mm half round bump at the top right hand side to accommodate it, so I was thinking of a modified cowl. No problem will just start it by hand [leather gloves]

In fact a mate came round today to give me a hand to start it for first time...and it started very easily, So as long as i keep counting my fingers every time I start it all will be well, The joys of IC LOL.

Thanks

Peter

Advert

img_0773.jpgHi Andy,

Got a new nose home now ! Seems to be just fine, certainly stronger than the original. Wondering if it might be easier for me to paint it before sending you one of them, the flit tins are a bit costly.

Getting on nicely with the new tailwheel as well, just a bit of welding for the wheel mount, then some paint and a leather gaiter and it should be done. yes

Let me know next moves Mate.........

Cheers, SHAUN.img_0772.jpg

Hi Shaun,

The tail wheel looks bang on , is it heaveir than the original idea.?

I'm just finishing up on mine now but just pondering re-doing the nose to get the lipos further forward.

That cowl looks impressive and sturdy, excellent job. I appreciate you knocking one up for us so if its easier to paint up in situ then I'll leave with you to sort. I'll pm my details to you.

Our strips terrible at the mo so only flying saft low cost foamie stuff to keep my hand in but its ruddy cold. Couldn't feel fingers after mins !!!!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes it is about 65g heavier as I put the servo back there as well for a short linkage and easy trimming on it's own channel, lazy I know but hey ho !

I will set about trimming and painting yours.

This is what I did for the motor mount, still got to do some final sorting and then bore some lightening/cooling holes but this will give me an extra 100mm of clear space for the lipos so balancing should not be a problem even with the extra tail weight. Based on forum readings weight up front should only help later on ( I hope ! ). I can now remove most of the original firewall without affecting the structure and allow the lipos to move further forward

Cheers, SHAUN.

img_0775.jpg

Hi Andy,

Cookin' on gas now ! Trimming and paint all that's left.

I'm off to Devon shooting again tomorrow and Sat so not certain when they'll be finished but hoping for Sunday / Monday.

VERY strong, twice the weight of the original but that was intentional.

Got the tail wheel finished now as well, ( see pic ) but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES must SWMBO ever become aware of my sewing skills, I have no intention of doing shirt buttons !!

img_0777.jpg

img_0778.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Well................got there at last....why is Christmas so busy ? hardly had any modelling time.

Paint match is OK but I realised too late that I should have matched to the fuz colours rather than the original cowl but too late now !

Back to work Monday and I'll get one of the lads to pack yours up and send it off to you. I've pretty much completed all my mods now so can get on with radio, servos, etc.

Cheers and a Happy New Year Mate,

SHAUN.

img_0779.jpg

Hi Shaun,

Storch is looking good , with all your mods it should be heeps better than standard. Don't be shy overpowering it. Its a big beast and has a draggy air frame so i'd go for a min of 2000w. Always better i think to ease off the throttle and keeps the amps down and tootle around half power if you can.

I'll not try the storch again till the cowls on and have received my new 5s lipos.

Just finishing up my 2nd Stuka by B/H and again its coming out tail heavy like the storch

Andy

• 7 months later...
Hi there guys, i have read through this thread with great interest. Ive just finished putting together my BH Storch but an a bit concerned! The manual says the C of G should be 120mm from the leading edge but other people have told me this is very wrong but nobody has actually given me a flying figure..... I notice that you have yours set to 1/4" behind the main spar but this is only 78mm from the leading edge. Can you confirm I have this right please! And does it fly well on that C of G?

Many Thanks in advance for your reply

Paul

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

img_1506.jpgHi guys! Tony here from the USA. Motion RC here in the USA just started to import the Fieseler Storch. I got the first one in and found out quickly that the CG location they had listed was incorrect. I moved it forward some, but the second flight resulted in a damage fuse that I was able to repair. After that, I moved it still more forward to 1/4 inch behind the back of the front wing tube. That is what has seemed to work. I did get mine to fly properly there, but the broken fuselage just would not stay together, hence the need for the new fuse. Motion RC did replace the fuse for me, so I am in the process of rebuilding it. I am going to make some custom landing gear much like what has been done on this forum! I also agree that that is the best answer, along with holding in some power on landing to better control the flair so you get a smooth touch-down each time! The landing gear mounting point at the leading edge of the wing takes all the stress, which is what lead to the fuse failure. Here are a few pictures of the damage... img_1508.jpg