Microsoft Office

GONZO

Bit of a long shot, but here goes.

Had to wipe my laptop and reload everything. But, here's the problem: bought a licence [three(3)] some time back. Desktop, my laptop and sons laptop. Unfortunately I can find no record of my activation (licence) code. So, given that I want to continue to use Microsoft Office on my laptop does anybody know of a way of finding this code or am I going to have to pay out again?

Advert

Posted by John F on 07/10/2014 10:54:30:

I had a similar issue a few years back. A simple phone call to Microsoft support went fine, they will confirm your registration and, along with asking you a few questions to varify, can send a new code very easily.

That's the best answer - but they may not be so helpful if your version of Office is more than a couple of generations old.

Well I found a number and eventually got through but they were totally unhelpfull. Its a case of buy the latest or go without. Each purchase is for one installation so I would have to buy two otherwise what I did on the laptop(MSO 2013) would not work on the desktop(MSO 2007). You can have backward compatability but not foward, need a crystal ball for that.

If it was for the same computer as previously I can't understand how they've changed attitudes.

Then again they did withdraw support for the HM Forces MS Office purchase programme.  We used to get the whole office package for £8.95!

Edited By John F on 07/10/2014 12:41:38

Posted by GONZO on 07/10/2014 12:34:51:

Well I found a number and eventually got through but they were totally unhelpfull. Its a case of buy the latest or go without. Each purchase is for one installation so I would have to buy two otherwise what I did on the laptop(MSO 2013) would not work on the desktop(MSO 2007). You can have backward compatability but not foward, need a crystal ball for that.

Only OEM software has the condition for only 1 install; if it was a retail package, you're allowed repeat installs, provided the first copy was wiped.

2013 has the ability to save in all previous formats, so you just need to make sure you use that setting when saving documents so that 2007 can open documents created in the later version.

Hi Gonzo (and others)

If you work for a corporation that has a corporate license for MS products (in my case the NHS) There is a HUP (Home Use Program) scheme whereby you get to use MS software on your own CP/Laptop/Mac for free. They charge a handling fee of, when I got mine, £17 and send you a full function disc of the requested software with full support if needed. But its only for 1 machine. Just Google (other search engines are available) Microsoft HUP scheme for more details.

When I left I was expected to delete the software from my 'puter wink 2.

I now use Libre Office. Very good and compatible with MS Office - and its free.

Ian

Ps. Libre Office seems to have superceded OpenOffice

Edited By TheFlyingCrust on 07/10/2014 16:10:15