Adding thread title to email notifications

Steve Houghton

When the forum notifies users that a new posting has been made on a bookmarked thread, is it possible for the email subject to include the name of the thread, please?

When a thread experiences a 'post storm', we get a whole string of emails and it would be nice to see whether they all relate to the same thread, so that we only need to open the most recent email notification.

Hopefully yours,

Steve

Advert

You actually do get the thread title - however it is invariably lost because the prefix is:

'A new posting has been made on the thread" {thread name}. This is invariably lost on a smartphone and most email readers

It would be much better if the subject field simply said the {thread name} - update or similar

Martyn

Steve,

Thanks for that - it may only need the first 20 or 30 characters of the title.

Martyn,

Thanks for your info. The subject always reads 'New Forum Post on Model Flying'. The thread title only appears once the email is opened, whereas I would like to avoid having to open every single one, by seeing the thread name in the subject field of the email.

I use webmail and it doesn't have any preview option - the only way to look inside is to open it up.

A better option (IMHO!) would be to have a "View replies" link on the forum pages which would be similar to "Latest Posts", but would only list threads that you had posted on, and where there had been a reply since you last read that thread. It's done elsewhere and I find it one of the most useful features.

I probably miss quite a few replies on threads on here, but I really don't want to add to the deluge of emails I already get!

A soapbox of mine - it does not cope well with mobiles or tablets. I'm usually in the workshop looking through posts to fix engines or look up some thread or other - hence the mobile.

Also regards PMs - could we not have the content of the actual PM emailed to us? Imagine the dilemma. I get a new PM message on my mobile. I log into the forum after resizing again and again to hit the login button.

I'm in! Now I have to scroll up to the flashing envelope icon... navigate my way to the message...resize as necessary.. read it. Now the hard bit. I reply to the message. Its possibly easier to wait until I come home and run up the laptop. The window is now full of native HTML code which I spend ages scrolling through trying to delete it, after trying again to resize it!! Anyone else get this??

A mobile-friendly version please wink Thanks !! kiss

Edited By Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:25:24