Actuators

Ponty Bri

Have had problems with plastic actuators or control horns breaking under stress particularly on nose wheel. When the latest one failed I made a new one from brass and discovered that the pins on a thirteen amp plug are perfect for the job and almost ready made, needing only little work to finish as holes are already in the right place. It may have been done before but deserves a mention.

Brian

yes, especially in cold weather. One thing to bear in mind is that any system will fail at it's weakest link - if the control arm or servo horns don't give in an arrival then the servo gears or case will so make the weak link something easy to replace. Hard nylons seem most prone to breaking, softer plastics have more flex which can be good or bad depending on the application. On a nosewheel you need flex, on your elevator not so muchsmiley

You can get servo savers, popular with car types but good on nosewheels too.

Yes I'm with Bob.

You can drive the problem too far up the chain, right to the servo for an expensive repair. I've tried the Robart horns and they seem all but unbreakable, but watch the cold weather.

I have a Maplin tool case, great for all the tools etc for the field. Picked it up today, ad the bottom fell out.All the plastic corners holding it together have gone brittle and they all gave up!

Every older model I've had for refurb I've replaced all the horns of course.