Complacency, does it ever creep up on you?

Wiltshire Flyer

Posted by extra slim on 15/09/2015 17:08:33:

Hi Dai,

being new, I will offer the advise of changing your batteries depending on what they are. If they are Nimh, a charge the day before and 1 flight to dead = dodgy pack IMO, and no matter how many top ups, they have warned you they are dodgy and so could give up at any point. Personally I wouldnt risk it, and get them changed.

There are many alternatives nowadays but that is for another occasion as not to complicate things.

+1. Do a trial discharge on your new charger at 0.5C (for a 2000mah pack that would be a 1A discharge rate) and check the capacity. Recharge and do another one at 1C (2A for a 2000mah) and compare - that will give you an idea of how your batteries perform under load. If they struggle you will have a clear sign to replace the pack.

Edited By MattyB on 16/09/2015 15:38:34

Lesson learnt.

I bought a second hand and well flown Hangar 9 Funtana 50 a couple of years ago. It's structure was sound and all looked good.

It was fitted out with new radio and an ASP 80 FS.

Second season of flying I pulled into a half loop and began feeding down elevator to maintain a downwind inverted leg. at this point the elevator felt very sluggish and I couldn't push the nose up to maintain inverted flight, I rolled it upright but still no elevator authority, the rest is history.

The model was trashed, radio survived and motor is waiting a new home.

What happened ? A soldered pushrod end had come away from the pushrod (it clearly was soldered very badly and was an accident waiting to happen), regardless of the pros and cons of that method never again will I trust somebody else's work on such a vital unseen link so will in the future renew any servo to surface linkages where this might occur.

Regards

John

A couple of weeks ago I went to a school mate's funeral in Petersfield. There was five of us from the same class of 1958 that attended the funeral. I was reminded at the Wake by one of the class mates that we were obliged in an English lesson to present discussions on chosen topics. Two of us spoke about a visit to the ED factory at East Molesey and to support our discussion we had a couple of Diesel motors with us. At this time we practised starting small motors such as a DC Merlins or Mills .75's by holding them in our left hands and starting with our right hands. I had forgotten that I had stunk the class out with the smell of ether from the fuel and had started a Merlin in the class, just a few revs though----a dangerous practice but quite possible with an ED Racer!.

I can remember at my flying club not checking the location of the wing on my old Easy Rider which was / is overpowered by an Enya 45. On take off it immediately went into at least a couple of high speed loops but fortunately I managed to recover it by 'throttling back' and using 'down elevator'. It landed OK

What winds me up is not learning. A few weeks ago I nearly lost my Flair Fokker D7, when the cowl fell off, it carries the ballast for the machine, and I landed it with the remains resting on the engine crankcase. A very close shave, reason, never tightened the cowl screws. And this week flying a much abused, but reliable Wot 4, always thrown in the car in case one its betters goes U/S, started to make the most dreadful racket. Landed, and the back half of the silencer had fell off the Irvine 53, screw had worked loose. Now, the total cost is £20, but to remake the cowl, a couple of hours fiddly and exacting work. And nearly, so very nearly lost the D7, what's that, couple of hundred hours and a couple of hundred pounds. For not checking a few nuts? TWICE.

There are a lot of stories I could write down. just one from long time ago. Was living still with my parents and did some soldering on a small pcb. I used to have the habit of shaking the iron to get rid of excessive tin. Pop went the tip into the new carpet. And not to be killed by my mum I grabbed it instantly and put it back up on my desk on to some scrap wood. Well - don't try that at home. The thing had probably some 300deg C...

And the carpet had been ruined anyway....

VA, using a wet cellulose sponge for iron cleaning now