JP-SI (zaggi) covering

Bought a zagi in a moment of weakness. Got the box home and opened the instructions and boy are they poor. I realise that there is nothing that can really go wrong in the construction but the covering advise is V. poor.

Covering in glass tape is mentioned (actually recomendedbut) at no point does it say where to use glass tape. Do i cover it all? Leading edges? do I actually need to bother?

Thanks in advance. 

Advert

Generally these type of hard used wings get completely covered in the cross weave tape, then coloured parcel tape is put on top to give colour and more importantly protect the crossweave tape from UV light which quickly dries out the glue and it then becomes useless.

Can use a film covering on top of the CW tape to give colour - would recommend Profilm.

Just lightly sand the CW tape and wipe with white spirit - this removes the release agent which stops the tape sticking to itself on the roll.

Assuming that the Zagi is EPP foam, you can use an iron temperature os about 300 degrees FARENHEIT, which adheres the profilm nicely.

Did this on my Bedlam and it looks really good.

Butt join the CW tape instead of overlapping and you get fewer joint lines.

• 3 months later...

i put a carbon spar in my zagi, backfilled the hole with foam and "Spackle" (the readymix lightweight polyfiller, then used some x-weave tape in strategic places (refer to yourzagi.com)..., light sand then spray with spray on adhesive 3m77 or carpet adhesive etc, ironed on profilm, start from the centre and work outwards.

in retrospect it was a lot of effort for what tunred out to be a dissapointing model, it needs quite a decent wind at my local hill to stay up, and setting it up well is critical.  unlike all my other models, it never really behaves itself and goes where its told. i shouldve bought a wing from phoenix model products instead, but at least i dont mind if it hits a tree, fencepost, or if i reverse over it in the car park

the Xit is a better wing than the zagi as its all EPP, the zagi only has an EPP leading edge the rest is cheapo polystyrene! Try to build it light, mount the servos quite far forwards and youll need less lead to balance it.

• 4 months later...