Hi Everyone

So I recently bought the new CMPro Ventus as my first glider - ambitious agreed!

I need some advice on servos and a battery along with a Tx. For the Tx I was thinking along the lines of the futaba 6 ch 2.4gHz.......

Any advice would be really appreciated as I haven't had to install anything on a model for about 15 yrs.

Thanks!

V

Thanks Timbo and Eric - will prob go for 2.4, but it's going to be a while before I get this model in the air. Being new to gliding I only realised the model has a nose release hook - can I still use a bungee launch for this? Towing is not an option. Just worried that the direction of the bungee will pull the nose straight into the ground....your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldn't buy that radio. you'll soon hit its limits in terms of model memories, mixing power and channel numbers.

you want at least 7 channels if you are going to get into gliders and the set doesn't offer a lot of mixing, which you need for scale gliders etc. Personally i wouldn't touch a low and mid range futaba with a barge pole, if you are a glider guider (or just anyone with sense!). 

Hi TJ

No luck yet with the bungee - am getting the Tx and servos this weekend and will then begin the build. Will also load some pics. I agree with Eric on the location of the 'hook'. Am going to put it just in front of the u/c doors - it's not going to be perfect, but it'll get her airborne.

V

seriously?  the model set up requirements of a flying wing are somewhat different to a 5m scale glider with a 6 servo wing.  Every plane uses different settings anyway (different servos, expo, dual rates, flight phases etc etc).  So  you would fly a v-tail on the same model memory as an X-tail?  if you do then good luck to you. 

i've never had a non computer radio. what's the point? they are so cheap. well they are just normal now. 

I have a plane that requires about +-2mm of elevator movement on the elevons (or it's unflyable). This is handled in my TX, as the elevons must move +-15mm for the ailerons. I then switch model memory when i want to fly a "full house" glider, with a 4 servo wing.  This plane has 4 flight phases - thermal, normal, speed and landing.  I switch to another full house glider, which requires different setttings on all these thigns due to it being a different wing span, wing section, tail type etc (and different setttings for expo and dual rates and what not).  Flying with a non computer radio would limit me to simple models with simple set ups.  I could walk to work but i find the ten miles go easier in the car.......

I don't feel futaba sets offer very good mixing facilities for glider flying, unless you pay a lot.  If you are going to fly gliders, go for a set with at least 7 channels.  mpx cockpit sx, JR 9x2 etc.

as for the futaba 2.4ghz 6ex or whatever it's called. you mustn't have seen all the reports about the sets resetting themselves so that they interfere with each other:

http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/service-advisory-tm7-7c-6ex.html

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/futabafasstfoobar.shtml

have a look on the forums......

clubs and the bmfa haven't seen the problem as "highly improbably" like futaba.  In fact i know of a club where two people have the 6ch futaba 2.4, and they aren't allowed to fly at the same time.  Which is rather ironic!

If you fly at a proper club there's nothing wrong with 35mhz anyway.  If you want a cheap 2.4 set, there is the spektrum dx7, although it's not a glider guiders dream, i know a bloke who uses one to good effect in f3f. racing.

worth a read:

http://www.rc-soar.com/spektrum/index.htm

The cm ventus would seem to be a good model for some computer mixing.  Air brakes and ailerons move to land the model, with appropriate elevator compensation. then you just switch to a different model memory when you get your flying wing out or what ever.

I'm with you Eric...

Exponential? Move the sticks a bit less at the start

Rates?  Move the sticks a bit less all the time

Model Memory? You shouldn't be flying if you mistake your glider for a 3D electric job

I do use a computer set - and they are a godsend - but it still makes me chuckle when people start bleating about how essential they are!

• 1 month later...

GEEZ!!  For slope soaring I still use my old Futaba FG series radio's from the 80's in both wide band AM as well as the later narrow band FM set's. I like the feel of the sticks on the old girl's better than the new one's.

All on 72 mhz over here.

Ken 

I agree with Tom, why mess about setting up mechanical mixes when you can do it at the field with a computer radio. Many comp flyer's use computer mixing, it makes precise flying easier. Knife edge holding elevator is harder to get accurate then if the elevator is mixed with rudder in the box. Large scale gliders with spoilers and flaps are much easier to fly if the mixes are made on the comp tx rather than juggling 5 channels on approach to a spot landing. Yes it can be done and some of us used to do it, but we don't need to any longer unless we want to. Model memory allows me to set each model to fly precisely the way i like each time i take it out without re trimming other than minor alterations for the conditions. i remember when radio gear was more costly so i moved radio gear and servos from one model to another, i don't need to do that anymore though i guess you still could.

Though that level of auto pilot would be fascinating i don't think many flyer's would be interested in using it for anything other then demonstration.

Computers are great, until they go wrong!

Too true, something to be said for the KISS principle, but then most modern quality radios come with them so regardless of how much mixing you have or have not used if they fail your model will probably crash.