Astro Hog

Hi all

fell I needed to go into print, if nothing else to make me feel better.

well I have been after a Hog for ages, built a few Flair over the years and eventually sold them on as ones interest changes. Well I have seen a couple down the field and thought, I should have kept them.

So I tried to buy a kit, no one in the UK has stock. Sussex told me delivery should be in November, that was back in July. So as impatient as I am I bought one from SIG.

It arrived, I'll say that, customs took the mick, box split in half, but no damage.

Contacted SIG no answer.

So it starts raining and I start building. Nothing like Flair, when I opened the box.

Rather than write war and peace, as I easily could, let's just say they must have produced thousands of these over the years as a good few of the pressed out parts were oversize and needed trimming to the drawing, and the marked out bit had thick ink lines so you could not make out the edges.

I have now reached the stage where all is built up but now needs rubbing down, as you do a lot of this on a Hog. My gripe is the standard of the wood used. I have never had a kit like it. I put my fingers through the wing panelling just removing it from the building board. It's either very hard where you can't get a pin in or so soft the pin will not hold it together.

For the first time in my model building time, I will not mention the years , I actually felt like jumping on it, and binning it, but I kept thinking of the money. Never felt like that before, normally little bits go wrong, but here it was the whole build.

Blood pressure coming down now, so anyone thinking of buying one don't bother.compared to Flair this kit is over priced and not in the same class.

Will not be contacting SIG, seeing as I'm still waiting an answer ref the packing.

looking back now I,m sure the tooling has worn so too big. They must be buying cheap grade wood, or their quality control is non exsistent.

thanks Tom

Advert

I should have known better. Had 2 Flair, one built up wing, one foam. Both good builds and great to fly, but got a bit tatty in the garage and couldn't be bothered to recover, so off they went. I saw one on ebay to build but the muppet wanted £300 for it.

great plane dire kit. Come back Flair.