Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA - 1/13th scale PSS / EDF

Andy Meade

Hi guys and gals!

Well, yes the ink is barely dry on the B24 drawings (currently awaiting some liteply so I can start cutting), and the dark evening mean when I'm not building, I'd rather by designing instead of watching Strictly Celebrity Brother Street.

So at the weekend I fired up the laptop, and pulled in this overlay sketch I did back in the summer, just after I finished off the MiG :

initial layout.jpg

I came up with the dimension by thinking the length should be about like *that* (holding a stretched out tape measure on the floor). So the length would be 1500mm, the wingspan, as you can see, has been stretched (stop moaning at the back Jones!). Tailpipes should also suit the ubiquitous "pot-noodle-exhaust".

In case you aren't familiar with it, here are some pictures from Wikipedia that show what the T50 looks like :

1024px-sukhoi_t-50_beltyukov.jpg

(the colour scheme I will be using) ^^

1024px-sukhoi_t-50_pichugin.jpg

I love this shot - look at that lovely flat bottom to the fuselage (really a weapons bay)

1024px-sukhoi_t-50_maks11_zherdin.jpg

A tasty wee fighter.

So - my plan is make this a PSS airframe, with the design able to take two 70mm fans in the future as an EDF machine. The wings will (again) be foam cored & veneered, with a flat carbon mainspar. The model will be one piece, but with removable fins so I can strap it inside the back doors of the van.

Here is what I have so far :

progress 001.jpg

progress 002.jpg

progress 003.jpg

This thing should really have loads of wing area - or at least fus area too, so might stay up in lighter winds (who am I kidding!). Wing section is a thinned (to 90%) RG14. Control will be seperate servos for ailerons and each tail half, using my favourite metal-geared digital hyperion servos.

No bulkhead or crutch cuts yet to allow things to slot together - every time I do that this early on it creates a big problem when I want to move things about at a later date. I should also be forming my own canopy, as I am progressing neatly with tests for that on the Liberator parts (astrodome etc).

That's it for now, but hope to progress this one along side my Liberator now I've moved my workshop around to give me twice the amount of bench space I had last year.

That's it for now, hopefully more soon.

Edited By Andy Meade on 17/11/2014 13:23:55

Looking great Andy! Cant believe you are away on another project though - impressive!!! devil

I like it with the increased wing area, and as you say - a massive flat bottomed lifting fuselage too - plenty!

My only comment would be on the tailerons, if you are going without ailerons do make sure you have plenty of movement on the elevators (or go all moving like the full size) - we've seen other models in the past struggle with roll authority on the slope with tailerons alone - unless you can use huge throws with bags of expo I'd recommend adding even little scale ailerons just to maintain roll authority when she's not moving that fast. Andy Conway has proved this on his Tornado, more recently Dave Gilder proved the same need on his F-16.

Please don't scrap the idea!! disgust - I would love to see this new shape on the slope!!

Right, here is last night's progress :

progress 004.jpg

Fore / aft stringers added as fin supports and to keep the structure square. Tags added to last 2 formers for fin alignment. Outboard fuselage sides added (up against W1) to keep the shape of the fus, and making this thick allows me a nice edge for planking.

progress 005.jpg

Finally, then, I added tongues to accept the plug-in fins (decided on no rudders, bleaurgh).

Tonight I shall tab-and-notch everything, add a cockpit floor, then that's it - like the MiG, there is very little design work to be done. Once the formers are cut I will let-in 1/4 square notches for stringers, add the radio equipment, then start planking!

No liteply in this one, so I can start cutting parts straight away (down to my last 50 sheets of 1/8th inch x 4" x 48" balsa!), and with any luck cut the wings for this one at the weekend, along with...err.."another PSS project" that requires some foam wings that I haven't mentioned yet, but will be ready for April laugh

Speaking of which, new aircraft to fly in April will be : HMM F4, Flair Hunter, this T50, "something else", and maybe the Viggen too if I don't get any decent weather at the end of the month at the Orme, or bravely chuck it off the Malverns beforehand.

Edited By Andy Meade on 18/11/2014 16:47:18