From the archives.......

As a 12 year old I was very fortuneate to belong to the RAF club at Boscome Down. they gave me a good grounding not only in building from plans ( as I still do) but also in limited electronins. Under the guidance of a senior member I built my own aeromodelor receiver and ground based transmitter. (Only carrier wave and not transistorised) It took about a year to save up and buy the bits ( I did a paper round and a butchers round)and about another 6 months to build. I built 'Timber' and Chiefy Smith test flew it for about 15 seconds, after some minor adjustments it was airbourne again for a sucessful 30second power flight. Tuition followed and I was 'taught' to fly single to a lessor degree. it was not without mishap and several re builds were carried out over the period of about a year. The skills that I was taught all those years ago are still used to this day . I would like to obtain a circuit diagram of a S/Channel Tx and Rx to build into a Junior 60- Can anyone help. regards Chris

Advert

• 3 months later...

Chris,

Could you be tempted to a blue box MacGregor single channel Tx & Rx? You'll need an actuator,but I have a boxed combo with dry battery boxes sitting in the garage.

Let me know.

Not sure I would want to go 'full nostalgia' single channel on 27 MHz with a Junior 60, though. Modern gear is much more reliable, has better range and stability and therefore is a lot safer to fly (both for the model & others). I must admit to being tempted to build a Rudder Bug with a rubber band suspended Rx hiding modern gear under it, using an end-on servo for torque rod actuated tail feathers.

With best regards,

Roger

A few years ago I actualy made a 35 MHz FM single channel set to work an Elmic escapement! Worked beautifully! I installed it in a Sub-Mini - a half size Super 60 that was a free plan in RCM&E many years back.

Its still sat in the shed - hasn't flown for a while and probably needs the nicads replacing, but still otherwise in good order!

--

Pete

You mean like this, Pete, or the bigger one?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/353193730_15eefd18e6_m.jpg

This is my 24 inch Micro Super (half size Mini Super) from a few years backwith a TD-010, 2 Perkins micro servos (9g - smallest available then) on rudder & elevator, with a Hitec mini Rx. Motor run was short (sub 1 minute) but plenty long enough to fly when the controls were that sensitive! Power on you needed less than 1/16th inch of elevator (more & you loop!!) and sub 1/8th on rudder (a large trim tab size) to roll it.

Would probably be great now with a tiny brushless and 3 channel for indoor or outside.

(Love the Super family - the Mini-Super was the first successful radio model I saw flown on Finchley Glebelands back in the 60's)

BR, Roger

BTW are you the famous Mr 'Crispy Mixer' Christy?

Hi, Roger,

Yes, mine is the bigger one - about 30" span, powered by a Cox Bay Bee .049 and controlled with an Elmic Compact escapement!

I must have made dozens of them back in the 60's! That and the Sharkface were my favourite designs! 

I also made a slightly modified one - currently powered by a PAW 80 diesel - with 2 channel rudder and elevator control to teach my son to fly! Its now teaching my grandson!

The only mods I made for 2 channel was to slightly reduce the dihedral. It looks better like that, I think! The elevator is a tooth-pick like affair cut into the trailing edge. Full down gives excellent penetration, but is not enough to "tuck under"!

And yes, it was me who invented the mixer....!

--

Pete

Hi Roger

I've just re read your posting and you mentioned building a Rudder Bug, I was fortuneate enough to aquire plans for the 'Bug'  along with the Dave Platt 'Half Tone'. You're more than welcome to a copy of the 'Bug' plan, I built the Half Tone and was quite impressed with it's performance.  I've also built quite a few other oldies like Electra, Super 60, Smog Hog , Astro Hog. All of these I still have and fly when conditions allow.

Peter as a side issue is the half size Super Sixty ( with gear) up for sale.

I've got a bit of a nostalgia bug now as I flew free flight in the Nationals this year and even got placed. I think those of us that are of 'our era' are aeromodellers not model plane flyers.

Regards

Hi Chris - e-mail on its way to you.

Re the Rudder Bug, I've got the half size replica freebie plan (from the 80's?) for a 0.8cc diesel, and this will be the likely route I'll take, having just taken an R/C PAW 0.8 from one of our club (St Albans MAC) colleagues. We run a pretty well known vintage meeting on the first Saturday of each July. A new baby Rudder Bug would fit in well for that. (I've also got the Half Tone from the Model Aircraft maagzine).

Re 'aeromodeller' versus 'model plane flyers' - yup, I would be proud to be considered the former, flying anything (except turbines - pocket not deep enough and arms to short.

I've just finishing a GWS plastic fantastic A-10 in desert camo for slope flying, but the previous model was a Jim Fullarton design Sportster fitted with a replica Elfin 1.49, finished in nylon, dope & flames finish, so I try not to get typecast in what I fly. You can find the Sportster at http://www.flickr.com/photos/94955626@N00/2555041399/ and a mix of the other stuff on http://www.flickr.com/photos/94955626@N00/?saved=1 if you're interested . 

Cheers

Roger 

Hi Roger

Ovwer the years I've promised myself to go to goto your vintage meet but something hjas always cropped up- guess I'll have to make the extra effort in 2009.

I've just put two F/F models on the board in the workshop- Dixielander and Swiss Miss, both Slow Open Power and both builders models with WASH IN on the port inner wing and WASH OUT on the port  outer wing. Should be interesting. ( The winter project)

Never tried 'slope' but been to a couple of meets which I found interesting but dreaded landing out so never tried it!!

Looking forward to the mail, just aquired an Elmic Corporal escapement to start the S/C Project

Thanks for the response

Quite a coincindence as Mr Dixielander, George Fuller, was a St Albans club member, still flying F/F power up to certainly a few years ago. Not sure if he still is as I haven't seen him for a couple of years.

My understanding of the 'funny' combination of wash-in & wash-out is that the inner one works better with power on when there is a blow from the prop, then the outer takes over in the glide. You're probably looking to have some rudder as well as tailtilt to complete the trimming tricks to get the best out of the model.

I believe the SLOP aim (for which the Dizielander was famed) is to spiral in a turn one way, while rolling the other way during the climb. Get it right and the model just pops out of the power phase into a flat gliding turn, without any excess speed to give a stall or messy transition phase. So many have been built ( we have at least one turn up with radio and a 1.5cc diesel for our 'climb & glide' competition at the Vintage Meet) that George probably got it right!

Slope is great  - 'good for the soul' flying. You can float around enjoying the air (like a gentle sailing session)  or 'hooligan' it with a fast aerobatic model (like power but minus the volume, although some of the glass ships howl as they do a fast fly pass). Outlandings are a  risk, but really only when the conditions are so soft that you should probably be flying power from the flat anyway! I fly a mix to suit all/most conditions, from ~5 to 35-40 knots (bit tricky to stand up in that when it's gusting - you tend to fall over forwards as the brace against the - now - non-existent wind!). Examples are on the FlickR link above.

A good slope day leaves you with suntanned thumbs, pink face, and dead flies on your top gum from smiling into the wind too much!

Cheers,

Roger

Eric, I didn't want to mention those, as it would sound as if we look silly . You've obviously been there, done that?

One question to ask a fellow sloper, am I the only one who comes back with sore feet from gripping the hillside with my toes, through my boots? I find it particularly so after a good aerobatic fling from end to end of a ridge

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Just like you , retirement getting quite near for me also hence the nostalgic bit.

I collected a McGreggor Bang Bang system from Roger T the other day and I've now decided to put it into a Veron cardinal. Power source will be a very old 1cc Davis Charlton that I picked up for £2.00 out of an odds and ends box at a swap meet!!!!. Doing the full nostagia bit it will even be doped and tissued!!

I've sorted out the 'plans' issues and built up a good supply to keep me out from under the wife's feet, all in all.

I didn't get to know much about radio Gear from about 64 onwards as I was in the forces, only got back into the hobby in the early 80's so missed out on 'multi' ect. tell me more?

Regards 

Eric/Chris,

Found myself on Ivinghoe Beacon on Monday giving the A-10 Warthog it's first (20 mph) airing.

Wonderful

You've got to just love a hobby that give you the opportunity to fly vintage power, plastic fantastic moulded scale jet gliders, rubber indoor models and other stuff.

Roger

BTW, Nice to put a face to the words, Chris.

• 1 month later...