electric vertigo

lester stenson

Hi people new to the forum and a returning modeller well into the vintage scene and electric just got a set of vertigo plans and looking at an electric conversion. Is this within the classic aerobatic format to you think, also looking for a set of plans for a swinger by Keith Jones also flown by terry cooper. In the sixties any help on that would be appreciated

Hi Lester, welcome aboard.

Ron, one of the retro-RC lads, built two electric Vertigos - one to plan and also a reduced size one.
This (I think) is the plan version:

futaba_m6.jpg

there was another one at the Ponty Retro-RC fly in this year, not sure whose it was - maybe Glyn Turnbull?
Ron would probably know. He's 'Ronstv' on all the forums.

sc_event_2014_262.jpg

I do remember Ron saying it was a pussy cat to fly!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 19/11/2014 20:25:20

Edited By Phil Green on 20/11/2014 16:35:31

Hi Phil thanks for the information I think the classic aerobatic bug has well and truly bitten just need to grey my head round the electric versus the glow and how to work the motor size out. Have been flying electric for twelve months now and love it! Especially the cost I can now afford modelling now. My first radio was a remcon 12 channel and the model was a mercury Galahad mmm those were the days.

Posted by lester stenson on 19/11/2014 23:43:46:

My first radio was a remcon 12 channel and the model was a mercury Galahad mmm those were the days.

Not quite Lester - these ARE the days! Heres my 2.4g Remcon 12 which I fly regularly in a Veron Impala.
At last year's Ponty Retro-RC do we had a Galahad frenzy, 6 up at once!

Event video is on Youtube channel philg2864 where you will see the Galahads from around 6:08 - in this years video you'll see loads of S/C & reeds sets in use.

impala_reeds_1024.jpg

remcon1.jpg

remcon2.jpg

Edited By Phil Green on 20/11/2014 16:43:47

For the chassis you just have to get lucky on ebay! they do come up from time to time. Or a few of the lads have made accurate replicas. I do the replacement electronics, see the reeds, 2.4g conversions and blog pages of www.singlechannel.co.uk

The Remcon toggles are very clicky, I prefer my Orbit 10. Also have an Aerial Electronics 8ch reeds and a 'Tiny-6' 6ch homebrew reeds!!!

Cheers
Phil

I was still at school and lived in Bromley in the 60s and though I was never a member of the Bromley Club, I did know some of the members and went to their field on a semi regular basis. I well remember Frank Van den Bergh turning up with the Vertigo and everyone being utterly amazed at it's performance. The old Merco .61 had less power than most of today's .40s but this thing went up like a homesick angel. One thing though...... The original had a kind of "wrap around" aluminium engine cowling which improved it's looks enormously and I am sure must have helped it's performance by smoothing out the airflow round the nose and reducing drag. So a plea....... If you do build a Vertigo, PLEASE put a cowl on it! wink

Paul