a sticky problem

ericrw

Advert

This the reason I need to insert a carbon rod into my Cessna starboard wing. When I did it`s maiden flight it flew beautifully but as I prepared to take off on it`s second flight the motor just detached itself from the plywood motor mount. The fault lay with the Manufactures because they had not put sufficient glue in the mount. The result was the motor damaged the cowl and the wing was distorted. I managed by pouring boiling water on the tip of the wing, which enabled some return to normality. I tried to fly it the other day, twice in fact, but in both, the flights were unstable. So now I want to insert a rod and force up the remaining 1", as shown in the photo. And then try flying it again, weather permitting ! Any advice would be appreciated !!002.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/12/2014 21:11:51

Hi Eric.

I would definitely use Gorilla glue. (carpenter's expanding polyurethane glue)

I straightened the curvy wing tips on my Bixler by clamping the end of the tip to the table, with something soft under it and foam on top to protect the wing from the heavy weight. Then I used a hair drier set on max to heat up the wing foam right where it was bent and let the weight of the foam wing slowly drop the other end down, until it was where I thought I wanted it. Those wings are have not gone back, so the bending was successful.

So I'm sure you can get your wing back to normal or at least treat both ends till they are the same.

And here's an excellent video on how to drill through the length of a wing to install a carbon rod.

Killer Planes How To Drill Holes In Foam Planes

I haven't had to do it that deep yet, but the time is coming soon. wink 2

Interesting video, Chuck. Though I used the word "insert" In my description of how I intend to rectify the fault I`m really thinking of cutting a groove in the foam and laying a carbon rod in the recess. Then clamping the rod securely where the wing is straight; which would emphasize the discrepancy at the tip end and then clamp the tip to the straight and secure carbon rod. I`m hoping this way will work !