Hello fellow flyers

Rick Tee

Where to start, I live in Plymouth Devon, and am a member of the Eddystone MFC, a small fixed wing club whose site is situated on the coast. I fly both gliders and powered, have been flying RC off and on for 34 years. My interest in model aircraft began when i was at school, flying chuck gliders then building rubber powered models from KK kits followed by control liners.  i prefer to build from plans and have recently started designing my own models, though i do have 2 ARTF's a  Hanger 9 Aresti 40 with a Saito 56 FS (took a long time to sort this model but it flys really well now, highly recomended) and a Seagul Pilatus PC9 with an Irvine 53 well built, very easy aeroplane to fly which looks great in the air. Gliders; i have a very old Sandpiper trainer type slope soarer/thermaler, a  Venom foamy and a Rivington Hawk (MkIII) built from a free plan in RCM&E. Hanger is a bit depleted atm as i had a bit of a break and only returned to power in 2006. My first own design is a trainer type built from the cardboard box the PC9 came in with a home cut polystyrene vaneered wing. Fitted with an SC46, it flys very well and has had a lot of air time. Current projects are a middlephase, a Cap 232 (found plans on the internet and scaled them to 90 size) and working on a design for a 90 size patern ship. 

Advert

Hi Rick,

Nice to hear that you fly both power and gliders. This is pretty much the same situation here in Jersey where we are spoilt for slope soaring sites, we can fly in virtually any wind direction on a number of cliff sites around the island.

If ever you are over just contact me.

High speed low passes and the jumping granite rocks of darmoor put pay to previous Hawks, but i love the model so much i always have one in my hanger (got a half built fus ready just in case.) Mods i've made to the original include building the fus with 1/16th ply sides (darmoor is hard on models), a foam wing +4" on the span, really can't be bothered with built up wings these days. The first one was literaly built out of the scrap box, many pieces spliced together and carried out to the hill on the back of a motorbike. A friend built one after he saw how well it flew, we had many hours of fun dog fighting with them. Thanx for the design, it's given me a great deal of pleasure over the years and amazingly it out flys some of the new high performance foamies, altitude, roll rate and speed. Never fails to put a smile on my face and always gets comments from other flyers.

Got some piccies of the last build if i can figure out how to put them on this forum.