P47 thunderbolt servos

Craig Thomas

Advert

A lot comes down to personal preference, budget, control surface size, space available etc etc, quite a lot of vairables to consider. As a for instance I'm putting together an 89" Spitfire and have chosen Hitec 5645MG's throughout the wing. I would strongly urge metal geared and high torque what ever you choose. Don't discount the 225MG also for smaller models.

I like Hitec's based on years of use and zero fauilures to date. Early ones weren't great but current ones have minimal play, centre accurately and are cheap compared to Futaba equivalents.

Lots of options, expect several differing answers.

I think high torque and metal geared are overkill for a 4 servo wing on a .60 size model, I use 'standard' 3-4 kg servos (Futaba 148, 3001, 3003 etc) for this size of model, though I do go for a 5Kg+ servo on rudder. Are you running the LiPo through a regulator? If not you will need HV servos which does limit your options and put you in a higher cost area.

Examples - my Super Chipmunk and Harvard both use 148 type servos on each aileron, my Dragon Lady (1.20 4str) has one JR 591 driving both ailerons, my Tornado (fast 60 powered aerobatic) Emax 20 gm servos on each aileron. All these run on 2S LiFe, no regulators.

I wouldn't use digital servos on the flaps, but good quality normal ones are fine. Digital servos under load takes loads of current, and a flap in use would cause the servo to take more current, when normal control surfaces are balanced, such as ailerons, or the elevator where flight loads are less most of the time.

Thanks for the advise guys. I have been looking at Savox sc0254's. They have 7.2 kg of torque at 6 volts. That would be enough for flap and aileron service wouldn't it? I was going to use a lipo battery for the radio but have decided to just use nicad battery. I'm guessing metal gears will be important as have finally decided on a dle 20 petrol. This is my first war bird so no totally sure what load servos will be under in the manual they are only using plastic gear servos which is a bit of a concern as I'm aware metal should only be used with petrol engines?

In an hearing so many conflicting views on karbonite and metal gears. In some adverts hi tec recommend against karbonite in petrol engines so not totally sure?

**LINK**

I've got Savox in my edge 180 and that's a pretty big plane. They are all metal gear so think I will stick to what I know. To be honest, I'm a little intimidated by my edge due to the size and time and money that I have invested. Had the plane for around 4 months now and have still not flown it. I'm telling myself I'll wait for the better weather before I bitr the bullet and take her up. Think I've bitten off more than I can chew with that model. That's why I've got the p47. A little smaller and not so intimidating. Only been flying around 8 months. Keep telling myself there is no rush. Lol