Fr Sky X8R

John-Frederick Davie

How should the twin 'paddles' of the X8R Fr sky Rx (the actual antennas) be disposed/positioned in the model?

One retailer, in their tech description, describes them as being set up parallel to one another with a small separation.

Club wisdom indicates the two antennas to be set up at right angles to each other (an 'L' configuration) in the same plane.

Any thought from the electronics/antenna gurus?

John Davie - Ramsey Mac

Advert

Well I don't claim to be a guru John - but I have installed plenty of 8XR Rx's and so far I've not had the slightest problem with range, signal loss or glitching etc.

So, for what that is worth, I will tell you that I install them at right angles to each other, as I would any other 2.4 antennae.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/01/2015 20:38:39

This is one of the many debates that go through modelling circles. Most instruction say at 90 degrees to each other however does that mean one vertical and one horizontal or both in the same plane. I have seen models where the owner is so obsessed with getting one vertical that they have bent one aerial tightly against the body of the receiver which in the case of a Rx with two short aerials a recipe for disaster Accepting the fact that there is a 30dB difference between vertical and horizontal In theory there is a case for one each way however we also need to consider the fact that the tx aerial is normally held at the slope and that the receiver is moving . I am certain that many of the glitches we have experience on 27 and 35 probably occur when the aerials are end on to each other

another debate then is TX aerial straight out or hinged parallel to case

to answer the original question my thoughts are 90 degrees either way but certainly not parallel.u

If you're talking about Spektrum receivers Gangster, I'd have the main Rx in one plane and a satellite at 90 deg to it, rather than bend any wires.

Even Spektrum seem to have seen the wisdom of putting antennas on lengths of Co-ax more recently though, which helps.

Whatever the manufacturer, the idea is so that both aerials are not end on to the tx at the same time. There's absolutely no point getting anything vertical, or trying to match the Tx aerial, because we want our models to work every possible way up.

The best advice is to have two aerials, at 90deg and as far apart from each other as possible in distance. Far apart, so that when one is in the "shadow" of a big lump like an engine or lipo, the other one is less likely to be.

If they are at 90 deg but close together, they could both be shadowed at the same time.