Unhinged

Steve T

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Some ARTF or whatever foamies come unhinged as I like to call it. No Mylar or glue wick hinging, just a rather thin line of uncut foam as a hinge, hmmmm.

Hinge1.jpg

As above and below.

Hinge2.jpg

I picked up a model and literally brushed the aileron against the worktop, and admired the way it dangled from the control rod no longer attached to wing. On the pic above you can see this hinge is ready to part, on a model that has not yet even had its maiden. As these are top hinged tape would seem to be the solution although it will have to be blended in otherwise it looks a tidge naff. I have plenty of micropore surgical tape which is very unobtrusive but I'm not convinced of its sticky ability. What to do chaps?

Edited By Steve T on 13/01/2015 12:43:00

Advert

This is a normal 'as sold' foam hinge type Steve. I've used Blenderm tape at times so using tape is ok. Just clean the area where the tape is to be stuck (I used meths) to ensure that no release agent is present. I've an Easy Glider and the 'foam hinges' were causing servo buzzing (hinges a bit stiff) so I made balsa ailerons and used pegged fuzzy hinges with some cyno. Works a treat and no servo stressing. It's a bit far to go perhaps but that's what I did and I'm happy with that.

Steve

My first RTF foamy had exactly that sort of aileron hinge and it was to my mind a) rather stiff and b) started to fail quite soon.

Replaced with duct tape as a top hinge. Better streamlining on the top sop surface and much freer in operation which allowed a smaller completely buried servo to be used which improved the streamlining still further.

Every lightweight foamy of mine regardless of size has used tape top hinges (bottom on flaps) ever since!

1" duct tape for the bigger faster types, 'magic' tape (it has a matt finish so can be painted) for the smaller ones,

Yeap. I looked at my not yet flown Phoenix 2000 wing the other day and saw that one aileron was completely detatched! I immediately ran some Uhu POR along the break line, waited a few mins, then slid the two pieces together whilst holding them both flat on the bench. Worked a treat. Maiden soon I hope. face 1