Irvine 40 silencer

trebor

Running in my engine causes allot of liquid going through silencer, only I have noticed the internal baffle cone trapping liquid inside. After a few flights the fuel has been leaned out a bit but this cone baffle will still trap liquid. Would it be ok to drill a small hole in the baffle cone at the bottom to allow the liquid out ? I don't think it would increase volume that much but surely if the internal area of the silencer is reduced by liquid it can't do it any good unless the liquid gets drawn back to aid lubrication ?? Not sure dont know

Advert

I noticed this on my model some time ago and after having residue oil drip on something special when the plane was held up vertical. I did cut a small groove in the outer edge of the  cone so the oil could be blown out under power, the groove was placed at the bottom of the silencer. No loss of power noticed

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 30/01/2015 13:55:35

You won't need it trebor.....once run it there will be much less oil around plus you will be flying with the throttle fairly well open so any residual liquid will be blown out. of the silencer

That doesn't mean there won't be some oil left in the silencer after a days flying so make sure it doesn't run out onto the new carpet or similar....this can cause significant friction with SWMBO