Right thrust.

Hello all.

I'm currently putting together an Seagull Decathlon EP. After fitting the motor to the mount and attaching it to the firewall, I noticed that there didn't seem to be any right/down thrust on the motor. In fact with the prop on it looks like it actually has about 1 degree of up thrust. 

Should I had the right/down thrust with washers on the motor mount or does anyone have a solution to this already?

I'd appreciate some help with this please.

Sean

Advert

Hi Sean, I built mine a while ago now (haven't got it any more) and it flew fine without sidethrust. I didn't fly it with any down thrust added either - again I didn't notice any unwanted tendancies although the odd degree of downthrust wont be a problem if you wanted to add some.

I would fly it first and see what you think, you'll probably be fine as it is  

I believe the need for side thrust comes from the reaction of the tail feathers when the corkscrewing air flow from the prop hits the surfaces.

The need for downthrust comes from the lines of action from the total thrust, total drag which do not necessarily occur at the same vertical point.

I hope this makes sense.