Busted prop, I think I know how

Up to the field this morning with my (repaired) Go Discover.

After nearly an hour of putting things off due to the wind and cold, I decided to give it a go.

According to Life Companion (One Sumsung mobile phone with delusions of grandeur), the temperature was a healthy 4 degrees C.

My launching buddy stood ready and I gave the full the GD full throttle. And this is prettry much where the flight ended. One of the folding props promptly sheared off causing the motor mount to break. On Post Mortem, I wondered if a combination of the following caused the prop to break;

• Cold weather making the plastic brittle
  • Instant full throttle
  • The prop was folded on power on
  • And a combination of the above with the blade being flung outward was enough to break the root.

Any comments??

In any event, despite not having another model to fly I left the field in good spirits having spent time with some splendid fellow minded individuals on a gloriously sunny if a little chilly day.

And the added bonus of a repair job that would stretch the little grey cells.

Almost perfect......smile

WoW! Holy expletive deleted! Where were your buddy's fingers/face in relation to this pusher?? I agree with all of the above, but also with Scott, in that, as you say this was a previously repaird aircraft, there's always that possibility of previous damage. Very possibly a cracked prop bolt hole, which then failed immediately full power was applied.

I never launch with much more than half power. Though I have yet to fly a plane with wheels.

Posted by Chuck Plains on 08/02/2015 17:43:46:

WoW! Holy expletive deleted! Where were your buddy's fingers/face in relation to this pusher?? I agree with all of the above, but also with Scott, in that, as you say this was a previously repaird aircraft, there's always that possibility of previous damage. Very possibly a cracked prop bolt hole, which then failed immediately full power was applied.

I never launch with much more than half power. Though I have yet to fly a plane with wheels.

Chuck, your photo seems to be of a pigeon doing a selfie......