size limit

john melia 1

Advert

Anything under 20kg - but the responsibility for ensuring that the site is safe to operate from is the pilot's. The insurance simply covers you against any claim where you're at fault when undertaking any legal model activities.

That's the "official" position but I would strongly advise that you think very carefully about the possible consequences of flying anywhere close to houses and more importantly, people.

There is no legal or BMFA ruling on physical size of a model, the criteria is based on all up weight (20kg) whether this will get re-visted in the future with some very large Depron Models being built which are of the dimensions that would be appropriate for "Large Models" yet whose weight keep them out of that classification (and legal hoops) is another thing

Which begs the question, as "All up Weight" includes fuel etc, what criteria would then use for a helium filled airship?

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 10/02/2015 18:54:12

Just stay on the Earth and it doesn't really matter what you call it, (Even those foreign metric thingies).

Regarding a flying site/model size, a lot can depend on what surrounds the site. If it's tall trees, you obviously need a smaller plane, if it's open or big enough you can fly bigger planes.

Also important is what you fly over, (or shouldn't fly over), once in the air. If there are houses on one side, you should stay clear of them. The list of what you should stay clear of could be quite long.

Most of model flying comes down to using common sense, just make sure you bought plenty wink

Edited By eflightray neath on 11/02/2015 19:30:02

Posted by eflightray neath on 11/02/2015 19:29:24:

Just stay on the Earth and it doesn't really matter what you call it, (Even those foreign metric thingies).

Depends. Helium can remove the weight but not mass of an object.

Lets say you have a blimp with a tonne of mass, but not showing any of it if you put it on scales. Then you have a car that has a tonne of mass and weighs a tonne when you put it on scales. Which one would you like to hit you (with a hard part) at 40 mph?

(not sure how fast a blimp can go)

Surely the consideration is how well and safely you can establish a circuit pattern.

I've got a 39" profile foamie which I will fly places I wouldn't fly a little UMX creation because I know I can establish it into a sfae circuit and landing pattern in a very small space because its slow flight characteristics are so good.

Posted by Martin Harris on 10/02/2015 18:57:58:

That's no doubt why the ANO defines models over 20 kg mass as being subject to the full requirements of the act!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/02/2015 18:58:14

Actually if you look in detail at the ANO is gives limts on the cubic volume of the gas "bags" - so it is covered properly

Posted by TigerOC on 12/02/2015 12:49:11:

You would also need to consult local authority regulations. Models over 100g are not allowed to be flown in parks or public space in the town area.

I had a long drawn out email conversation with Manchester City Council about flying in my local park, they wanted me to fly in Heaton Park but unless the park prohibits model flying (on the information board) then there is no rule to stop you flying anything (within the criteria of the ANO), but if requested to stop by a police officer or a parks official you must cease to fly

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 12/02/2015 12:52:56:
Posted by TigerOC on 12/02/2015 12:49:11:

You would also need to consult local authority regulations. Models over 100g are not allowed to be flown in parks or public space in the town area.

That's rather a generalisation! It may be written in some local byelaws, but it isn't a national regulation as far as I know

Sorry missed out a word "our" in our specific locality which is a bye-law.