Building a new fuz.

fly boy3

Hi all I have in my attic a72inch foam wing sloper. Wing is foam and very light. The fuz. Is moulded and heavy including a fair amount of lead. Would it be feasible to build a new fuz ( balsa and ply) and convert it to a flat field glider, if so what sort of wing loading should I aim for including batt. Motor etc. Cheers ps getting a bit too old to climb the slopes theses days.LoL Thanks

Yes, of course, I have to hand such a fuz, for a 2m flat field electric glider. It weighs just 24 oz with all the bits. Also, I have a self designed glider with a pod and boom fuselage. The pod was carved from blue foam. Glass fibre applied ontop, and the foam melted with acetone. The boom is of course carbon. It's a wee bit lighter

ernie

Hi FB3 Theres an old guy next door to me who goes fishing. He has all sorts of old fishing rod tubes. They are very good for booms. If yoyu want more re the blue foam bit, and want to avoid the inevitable pitfalls,I can let you have a lot more detail.

ernie

Hi FB3 Re a lost foam fuselage

1 use blue foam, its really easy to cut and sand

2 I carve the fuz from two layers glued together with contact glue. I put a length of 10mm studding between the layers, on the axis/datum line. this acts as a fixed reference line

3 Next, I cut roughly to shape using a hacksaw blade

4 The final shape is then formed using a rough file, and ever finer sandpaper

5 I give the form a couple of coats of white emulsion. A good finish will save toil later on

6 I use epoxy resin, and lightweight glass cloth. I cut the cloth into wee bits, around 100 mm sq, and build up say 4 layers. extra layers can be added where reinforcelment is necessary.

7 A good finish is easy. Fill any low spots with resin and microballons, and finish with resin and carspray

easier to do than to say ernie

Thanks Ernie, will give it a go when my ruddy back gets better. Got all the stuff except the glass cloth. Never used it before, but will follow your instructions to the letter. Thanks, It s a great shame to waste a beautiful light weight wing. Been debating this for years. LoL,