Defence

Stephen Tye

Posted by Percy Verance on 22/02/2015 09:56:38:

That's about the measure of it Dave, the mutual destruction scenario. We're zapped, but so are they.........

Food for thought for Mr Poot. You can't be top dog if you're brown bread.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/02/2015 10:00:06

Thats why we always kept a copy of the Zeebrugge ferry timetable in the panzer right next to the Famous Grouse and the Mars Bars....... cheeky

Posted by Percy Verance on 22/02/2015 08:32:31:

I don't actually feel the issue lies with the vast majority of Russians. The real *problem* is with Putin and his cronies. Basically Putin feels he's big and strong enough to be a bully, and that no one will have the guts/backbone to take him on, or at least that's where his mind clearly is. It seems he has a short memory. A quick look at the history books ought to provide him with food for thought.

Ultimately, dictatorial regimes aim to rule and survive. Mr Putin must surely realise that even he cannot survive a nuclear attack, should the worst (god forbid) happen?

My old man (he died 30 years ago) often said the US should have ordered the Soviets back to Russia at the end of the war.... or else.

The real problem lies here and the other side of the Atlantic, the Problems in Ukraine are easily attributed to the US and EU backed coup, overthrowing a Democraticly elected Government.

You only have to look at the NATO expansion and incursions since 1991, US and UK military interventions, illegal wars of aggression and destabilisations of sovereign nations to see who really has imperial ideology, It aint Putin

I tend to partially John, at least as far as the Ukraine is concerned, Imagine what the US reaction would be if the Russians planned to base missiles within 300 miles of the continental US? Oh hang on they did and we came so very close to a third world war, so now the west acts all surprised when NATO expands into the Baltic States, Poland and potentially the Ukraine - where next Bellorus - Russia see's eastern europe as its "backyard" and its sphere of influence and the west meddle in that area incurs considerable risk

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 22/02/2015 14:26:27

John S, good point, although I don't think we'll be at war with Russia, anytime soon. For us this is a rise of a resurgent Russia. However, from a Russian perspective, this is just the continuation of what we called the Cold War, just with a 20 year drift on their part since 89.

Not just kids by the way, some of us on here are still serving, and some of us are intercepting the Bears.

I recall a a very good lecture at Templar Barracks presented as if the lecturer were a Russian Staff Officer talking about the threat NATO presented to the Soviet Union (as it was) - seeing the picture from thier perspective opened my eyes a greate deal - first the history - invaded by Western European Powers in 1941, 1921,1914, 1854

Surrounded by hostile nations from Norway in the North down through Europe with China along its southern flank and a US dominated Pacific on its east

NATO a "devensive" alliance that continually breached Russian Soveriegnty (U2 over flights followed by SR71's)

Looking at things from the others viewpoint always helps to understand the situation and the likely outcome

Now we have a once proud Soviet Union, reduced to near chaos in the 1990's and (from Russias perspective) many of its former possessions lured away by western co-ercion

Now Russia has what its people see as a strong leader one that gives it back its pride and place as a global superpower - so its flexing its muscles reasserting itself (to some degree or other) to something akin to its heydays