New DX6 range limit

Simon Hall 2

I have the new DX6 Tx with the AR610 Rx in my new Radian. I also have the TM1000 and vario. I read a post on another forum that suggested possible range issues with the new DX6 compared with the DX6i. It did not seem to gather much momentum, but I was just wondering whether any other users have experienced any problems. My old Radian is still running with the DX6i and AR600 and I have never had a problem even up as high as 1500ft. I have only had couple of flights with the new kit and all is well up to 1000ft.

Advert

Regardless of what others say, nothing boosts your confidence like a doing a proper range check yourself.
None of this low power 25 paces rubbish which doesnt prove anything, borrow your lads bike and do a proper full power range check! If you can find somewhere open and clear of 'furniture' you should get well over a kilometre with any 'proper' 2.4g set.

Air range will be much greater than whatever ground range you achieve - typically I've seen anything up to 2km ground range with Frsky modules - in the air that would be a long, long way out of sight!

Cheers
Phil

As Phil says, it should give you all the range you need but do bear in mind that the DX6 has a single aerial, unlike the twin aerials of the DX9 etc. This means that you must be conscious of the Tx orientation when you're flying. Just make sure you don't point the aerial directly at the model as that will provide the lowest signal strength.

Think of the signal pattern as a doughnut, with the aerial vertical in the hole in the middle, like this:

Signal pattern

The strongest output will be around the equator, as it were....

Pete

"Signal Loss" is a very flexible statement and is used in circumstances that would seem to cover a multitude of sins - as Pete says pointing the single aerial directly at the model is one cause, poor condition RX or TX batteries another, using the old DSM protocol and not DSM2 another potemtial cause as is current overload on the RX (caused by too many servos/servos stall etc)

Also in most cases a loss of signal will be a transient thing as the RXTX will try and re-establish communication bu frequency switching/hoping

I had had a loss of signal about three weeks ago - flying ok, motor cut (failsafe engaged) and no control surface response, a few seconds later motor came back and control restored - sadly mother earth and father garvity got in the way of a recovery - but that was at about 100 yds using a DX9 and an Orange RX - the Orange RX has now had a meeting with a 2lb hammer!

I'm not familiar with the DX6 but the images I've seen of one suggest the aerial is fixed - pointing skyward. Is it fixed? If so That would make Pete B's comments very relevant. You'd need to point the transmitter at 90 degrees to your model for best range. This may explain your comment above as the pilot may have been pointing Tx directly at the model.

Ian