Depron Extra 300

Advert

Posted by SwaziFlyer on 30/04/2015 15:53:43:
Success. Went to see a mate who does upholstery. Managed to aquire about 350 ml of contact adhesive. Will have to make up a foam brush of sorts but a step I'm the right direction

Before you go near your model with it TEST it on some scrap Depron - slap some on and leave it for at least 30 mins to check its not going to eat the foam..... same goes for any new glue....

Once bitten twice shy

PS want to buy some molten depron modern art?

Hey Guys, so have done some skinning with using contact glue, firstly had to remove some of the skin that I had put on with Cyno, fortunately no damage was done. So lots of learning done and things to remember for next time. Have put some filler on that need a good rub down.

skin 1.jpg

skin 2.jpg

Some of the lines are a bit out, will make sure i oversize the formers a bit next time to give some shaping room. i think i will just paint this one with some acrylic but haven’t put to much thought into it yet, my main purpose for this build is to see if I can attach the wing to the fuselage properly and get it flying nicely.

wing joint.jpg

So I will go with the dowels through the fuselage but im not sure I like the method on the plan for securing the wing. My concern is that it may compress the fuselage to much unless I fit a whole lot of ply .

Matt

Posted by SwaziFlyer on 06/05/2015 13:36:52:

Hi All, does anyone have any clever ideas of fixing the wings rather than the "Cup Hooks" and elastics as suggested in the plan

Nylon bolts from inside the cabin into captive nuts on the wing root rib - if combined with wing tubes (that would take all the torsional strains - the bolts could be quite small as they only have to keep the wing root against the Fus

Some lite ply across the inside of the wing root rib bonded at each end to the wing tubes would be fone for holding the captive nuts too

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a small update, only had a few minutes here and there for building. I skinned the fuselage as the previous pics show, have been filling here and there. I then started with the placement of the wing supports/dowels. So lots of school fees here, I should have sorted out the placements before I did the skinning so some surgery had to be done as the dowels were not parallel with the horizontal stabiliser.

I have also been rethinking the wings and have cut new paper templates for the ribs, my plan is to do a 3mm depron centre section, cut the ribs in half and glue them above and below, my reason is to give a better centre section reference and take any twist out of the wing. My only concern is how to remove the 1.5mm from each section of the rib.

Depends on what wing profile you have, as long as there is no under-camber you should be able to mark out the wings full size, mark the chord line, then cut them out in full, slice in half down the chord line, then use a balsa stripped set to 1.5mm to whip off the edges off the inside of each half

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
If there is anyone still following this sorry it has had no progress. Have not been able to get any 6 mm depron and need to get some proper snakes for the ruder and elevator. I do have a question. I have just completed a foam trainer and did the maiden today, it flew well at low speed but over half throttle it would climb steeply and then sit on its tail. Power off it glides well and the stall is ok so don't think it is a c issue. Could it be that I need more down thrust or could it be related to the wing angle relative to the fuselage. It is a high wing, resembles a cessna 172. Thanks. Any feedback would be helpful

Yep still watching your build.....

As for the trainer, Climbing under power is what they should do, if it glides well then its probably not the wing incidence - first thing I would check is the tail plane seating is it square and at the right level if is was slightly nose down (negative AoA) that would cause the symptoms you describe, other than that some down thrust on the motor may cure it

Thank you Dave. She flies fairly level at a cruise,40 percent throttle. Only two clicks of up trim. Slow flight uses a bit of up elevator and flies a bit nose up. It's on the climb out that's a problem. 80 percent throttle and she climbs nicely and then goes into a "prop hang" situation. Power off and she stalls and recovers. Thanks for listening