Anyone purchased from DB Sport recently?

Was looking to get a self build kit and went to DB Sport site because I have had several kits from there before.

Looks like its now changed hands and I wondered if the quality is still the same, my past kits could not be bettered material and cutting wise . Even the way the contents were arranged in the boxes was a art form!

Any feed back would be great

Advert

I had dealings with Richard a few weeks ago. Nothing major, some rigging bits and whatnot but he was helpful, enthusiastic and helped me out by selling me some strip steel that was not even listed on the site. I would assume that he has acquired all of the laser cutters and so on so I very much doubt there will be any issues

Thanks chaps, and gently no longer applies. We are in full swing with Eddie and Judy providing backup for any questions remotely and then dropping in when we have sufficient tasks to be demonstrated.

The latest Piper cubs are now being boxed up and it's taken a bit longer to finalise than expected. Our GRP process for the cowls needs to be repeated multiple times in order to get a full 14. We have to make more than this because we reject any we can spot flaws in even though most of the flaws I'd be more than happy to build with. But not to put in a kit as I very much appreciate that first opening of the box should be an absolute joy.

Yesterday I consigned a number of lengths of strip to the 'personal use' pile, some for very minor defects. Same with the sheets, any flaws prior to or after laser cutting are rejected even though some are so minor as to be barely noticeable.

Having said that, the densities of the balsa do vary and even though we weigh every piece to be lasercut (to try and get a consistent cut) sometimes a light scalpel over the join may be required or conversely the parts may be more eager to pop out of the board than usual. Due to it being checked on cutting and then again on packing, any potential issues should be caught early but occasionally something may go amiss. If it does, then we will remedy the situation immediately.

Packing is along similar lines as before as Eddie and Judy created packing guidelines although some is open to interpretation and can be a bit of 3d puzzle. Often at points of confusion we deviate from the written under the principles that everything be packed safely and it should also look nice when the box is opened.

Some of the rejected GRP will be sold as less than A1 at the shows (or before) because they are easily repairable and there may be some other items also.

I think, as a rule, I will try not to involve myself in this sort of discussion as I believe that could lead to forum checking madness and I could easily miss posts but rest assured, I build and I fly. I will be increasing the things we sell as a supplement to the kits (mostly building related and often things I like to use) but the kits are paramount and they will be created as I would like to receive (and I have high expectations). Nothing should spoil that feeling every modeller should get when opening the box and perusing the many contents.

Got to dash, off to the post office to send parcels to Sweden, the US and the good old UK. another will go to Finland on Monday along with plan pack bits to Australia and new weekend orders that don't involve manufacturing processes.

And finally, I'd like to see all the plan packs returned but that is a work in progress (or planned to be progressed at least). In the meantime, it is true that Eddie (having retired) now has more time to do some work for me on a couple of models Top man.

Thanks Percy, and yes I look forward to meeting everyone - I also look forward to attending shows I've not been able to before due to work commitments.

Just one more thing before it starts looking like I'm hogging the limelight on here. Many things in this setting up / relaunch / continuation rely on other things to be done first. I have been updating a Facebook page for some time ready for go live because I didn't want to launch an empty page. Equally I didn't want to launch anything or advertise until I'd sorted out McAfee (see previous thread for more on that).

Now that the new larger Ad is in the latest RCME and the website is all green and safe (not that it wasn't safe before), further evidence of packing niceness can be seen on earlier photos on the facebook page **LINK**. Hmm this link looks a bit like my ecommerce software but that's just digressing...

You'll also see some before and after photos plus a few wire bending pics and general unit setup. Keep checking as I have not finished getting new stock lines in.