Sonic Tronics great customer service

cymaz

I sent a glow driver module back to Sonic Tronics as one plug was not working and I couldn't trace the fault. The company was emailed and the module returned.

I have just received the following mail post...Great servicelaugh

Hello Peter & Jo:

Your MCD477 came just a few hours ago and I have already been through it. Out of the box I had to remove the modified power cord you installed, but that is no big deal, it just did not fit our testing equipment. I did check it to be workable, therefore it was not a problem and is the box for your return of it.

I checked the driver without opening the driver box, much to my surprise it worked fine for the independent and collective plug outputs. Next the box was opened and I went through it totally and found nothing wrong. I let it run driving seven glow plugs and operated the throttle, the LED did its thing and the plugs went off and on as commanded. I do not have your glow plug connecting harness so I cannot confirm is operation, but I am going to give you something to look for. The “white Molex”, connector that the glow plug connecting wires come from, check the pins in that Molex half side and see if the pins are all in the proper place and firmly in place?? Using a Ohm meter you could also check for continuity, also check the inside of the glow plug connectors for a dirty connection etc. I know I am giving you a bit to look into but it may have something to do with your past problem. ??

Now I am going to give you another bit of information for the future on how to evaluate the battery pack. First the pack should have available amp power to provide about one amp ( 1000 ma ) per glow plug and a voltage of 4.8 Volts. Driving a 7 or 9 cylinder engine with a 5000 ma or 5 amp pack is normal, it just won’t work for a full hour of operation. The pack should be fully charged for this test. Have everything installed, receiver, servos, glow driver and the plug wires connected to the glow plugs. Using a multi meter and “NOTHING TURNED ON” read the voltage at the models charge jack. ( The center pin is + Plus ) A great 4.8 volt pack can read as high as 5.2 to 5.4 volts. Make note of the voltage. . . . Now turn on the transmitter and receiver, set the throttle to light the LED and re-read the voltage at the charge jack, make note of it. There should be some drop in voltage because the system is now under load and driving the plugs. However the voltage should not be as low as 4.7 or the pack is weak.

One more thing, don’t ever get the idea of operating the driver from a LiPo pack with or without a regulator. It will result in “smoke”. . . . enough said ?

In closing I have done all I could and made some suggestions, so your driver is ready to come home. There is NO charge for what I have done, let’s just call it good “customer service”. I can ship the unit back to you by Air Mail ( $14.90 US ) or Priority Mail ( $24.75 US ). The choice is yours and all we will need is your selection and a credit card number. I will suggest for this to split the card information over two short emails and we will put it back together. Be well and enjoy Hank

Advert