Ripmax Dagger ARTF - Any recommendations?

Advert

David, you must have missed the review I did in RCMW surprise. It's a cracking flier, I had some vibration issues with the recommended motor package on a 4s battery with a 7x 7 prop which I tracked down to the spinner. I fly mine on an 8 x 8 and 3s battery and it still goes like the proverbial. The airframe itself is very nicely put together.

Typical delta characteristics, goes very fast, rapid roll rate (especially on the high rate settings), but rock steady, will drop it's nose if banked too steeply when going slow, stable on landings.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 19/05/2015 13:15:56:

David, you must have missed the review I did in RCMW surprise. It's a cracking flier, I had some vibration issues with the recommended motor package on a 4s battery with a 7x 7 prop which I tracked down to the spinner. I fly mine on an 8 x 8 and 3s battery and it still goes like the proverbial. The airframe itself is very nicely put together.

Typical delta characteristics, goes very fast, rapid roll rate (especially on the high rate settings), but rock steady, will drop it's nose if banked too steeply when going slow, stable on landings.

Thanks Frank. Your choice of prop and 3s is interesting, I was wondering what to fit. Can you tell me which issue your review was in please.

I purchased it today while in Kings Lynn Model Shop, couldn't resist!

David, it was in the Jan 2015 issue, 13,000 rpm and 35amps at WOT on a 8 x 8 with a 3s 2200 mah battery. The 4s has the motor turning over 15,500 rpm (without the spinner)

Enjoy it, but make sure the motor, prop and spinner run smooth and if using the Ripmax motor follow their instructions.

• 2 years later...

Two years later . . .

I thought I’d put an update on this. I followed Frank’s advice but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Like others I’d read about on other forums torque proved a problem on launching and any subsequent prang often meant that a prop blade hitting the grass put pressure on the prop extender which the damaged the motor bearings. Similar results could happen on landing with that big 8 x 8 prop. So after two motors I put it on a shelf and ignored it for two years.

I got it down recently and decided to refit it without the extender. This meant cutting away the balsa ahead of the motor bulkhead. I found a Hobbyking Propdrive motor (2836 2200Kv) which peaked at 350 watts using a 6 x 4 prop. I use a 2200 mah 40C lipo

The result was amazing. It’s gone from a total failure to one of my best planes. Less torque means it’s easy to launch with great flying characteristics, great vertical climb, speed plus docile slow flying. I get 7 minutes of mixed throttle flying. I haven’t found a spinner to fit (50mm with 4mm shaft) but I think cooling is better without. It looks very stealth like in the air and orientation can be a problem so I added lots of day-glo solar trim.

dagger 02.jpg

dagger 01.jpg