Rolls Royce MAC Electric Fly-in 30th /31st May 2015 - Cancelled

It is with great regret and much sadness that the Rolls Royce Hucknall MAC announce that the Electric event advertised for 30th /31st May 2015 is Cancelled due to the loss of their flying facilities at the airfield at Hucknall which is currently under development for housing and industrial units.

The club committee are actively seeking an alternative venue for the club within the wider Hucknall area.

The airfield at Hucknall, whilst not as famous as such places as Farnborough, played an important part in the development of Rolls Royce's piston and jet engines. If it is remembered for nothing else, then let it be that it was here that the Rolls Royce engineers put a Merlin in a Mustang fighter and gave the American Airforce an aircraft that could fight it's way to Berlin and back in support of the daylight bombers .

Advert

Very sad to hear, not just for your Fly-in but for the club in general.

We at Greenacres are currently suffering from a (temporary) lack of flying facilities for other reasons.

Loosing your whole field must be devastating....

Edited By Jim Mchugh on 19/05/2015 21:45:45

As a former member at Hucknall I feel really sad that the airfield will soon be no more. I spent a few 'happy' hours at RR Hucknall doing blade-off tests on 5 Bed I enjoyed the Hucknall shows very much and used to help out but more recently I cycled over to watch - a nice bike ride witha bit of model flying to enjoy. What couild be better?

Our site at Ashbourne is under a similar threat

Geoff

5 bed Geoff? Blimey, that must have been some time ago! laugh

Anyway, I didn't realise that Ashbourne was under threat too. Where will your nearest club be if it closes. Burton Model Flying Club? Long Eaton or Catton Park perhaps? Derbyshire's hardly awash with flying sites, specially if you want to fly anything of a decent size. sad

Edited By Bill_B on 20/05/2015 12:54:25