Balsa Cartoon Cutlass

Advert

Ron,

I've uploaded a few on an album in this fine website. It's named Cartoon Cutlass from Lisbon and I hope everyone can see it here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=36961

If not, I'll do it when posting some more developments soon.

Paulo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim and thanks for the message.

I also look forward to see your Cutlass come to life, and it's somewhat awkward this aircraft is being built by just a few. It's an unusual type and it's always good to see something different from the bland high-wing trainers and Cubs that are all over the place. And I've started a Can-Doo model already! also an unusual model.

I'm waiting for the engine to arrive for the Cutlass, thus, I haven't maidened the model yet. Furthermore, in this country we have the opposite problem to the UK - it's now too hot to go out flying unless you go by 7AM (i'm serious) or after 7PM.

I'll keep the forum posted as for the maiden flight and hopefully you've foound the plan by now.

Regards,

Paulo

cutlass.jpg

Nice.

I was tempted by the photos and the plan, and made a cutlass out of a sheet of 6 mm depron and a lengths of 1/8" balsa. (See above)

The fuslage sides were a lamination of 6mm depron on the outside and 1/8 balsa on the inside. Depron formers with balsa block for the nose and the cockpit.

Depron wing with a 0.5 x 6 mm carbon spar and balsa ailerons.

All I then needed was the carrier bag containing the Hobbyking Funfighter that argued with terra firma and lost, and I was in business. Flew it on 3S and decided that it goes better on a 850mAh 4S, (again from the funfighter).

Good fun.

Robin

Hello Robin,

Great workmanship! It always strikes me how the size of the model is not given justice in photographs. You really have to build one to aprehend its dimensions, bearing in mind that it is no 100" glider.

I've been lucky when it comes to arguing with terra firma, but to this date, most bruises have been painful notwithstanding the fun! It's wise to avoid these conflicts.

I've started a Can-Doo model. I'll post pics ASAP, so check these forums soon. Perhaps you'll fancy building one too.

Regards,

Paulo

Edited By Paulo Peres on 29/06/2015 15:54:17

On 4S and even 3S full bore having what looks like torque reaction issues. Tends to do a sudden diving turn to the left unasked at speed. Making a mod tomorrow and will report on flying effect.

Weighs in at 500 grms less battery, 610 with a 4S 850, and 710 with the "recommended 3S 2200.

Finish is raw depron sprayed with water based acrylic (pinched from her-indoors' art box).

I have not glassed it but the fins are rather floppy and could probably do with this.

The wing is KF so is a lamination of two layers of 6 mm depron and with the carbon is OK

Looking forward to pictures of the Can-doo -- canard design, yes?

Good to know about the flying peculiarities. I'll have that in mind.

My model weighs in around 560 grms without any electronics. I'll weigh it again when all the stuff needed is placed in situ.

The pics of the Can-Doo (yes, it's a canard) can be found here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=89512&p=11

Paulo

p3122304.jpgRobin, when I did my wing and fins out of 6mm B&Q floormate it wasn't as quite as strong as proper depron so I reinforced the fins with 2mm carbon (see pic), this didn't make it on to the balsa version plan, then all covered in glass using Wilco water based poly, which stiffens it up like plywood. All up weight is the same as yours.

The only torque reaction I've had is at low speed and opening the throttle suddenly, but not at high speed. Prop is 5x5.

I wonder if the floppy fins are distorting at speed or maybe the stiffer balsa elevons are distorting the wing when deflected.

Might also be blow back on the servo, those elevons are like barn doors. I used a metal 9g servo in mine, and I know some servos I've had in ARTF models have been really wimpy!

Ronp1020399.jpg

Edited By ron evans on 30/06/2015 11:05:36

Yes I agree with your comments. I shortened the elevons by around an inch and extended the wings around the elevons. This has improved things but at full chat aileron control is almost non-existent. So I limit power to around 3/4 and it flies very nicely....

I do wonder if it is the KF section at high speed affecting flow over the control surfaces.

The lack of roll response at speed is a bit of a mystery Robin. Both my foam and Nigels wooden version have the KF section, and roll on mine is really hot at full chat, so I don't think the KF sect. is the problem.

What is pitch response like at full power? I still think servo blow back or airframe distortion might be the culpritdevil.

3/4 power's not so bad though, best fun I have with it is trundling around just to see how slow it will go.

Talking of servo blow back my latest toy, a Phoenix 2000, has hardly any roll response at speed, quite unnerving at timesfrown, must get some decent servos in ityes.

Ron

By fluke this month's RCM&E on page 33 has a letter about the cutlass and suggests +/- 6 mm for ailerons and +/- 10 mm for elevators. I have found the only bad trait is the tendency to tuck under if I over bank it in turns and under elevate it. This is a stronger tendency than with other models I have set up as "bank-and-yank" two channel. Hope this helps . Robin

• 8 months later...

Just finished building the Cartoon Cutlass. I used 1/4" balsa throughout, 200 watt motor with a 2500 mah battery.

Total weight is 30 oz. Haven't had a chance to maiden it yet . This is the first plan build to come out of my new

shop. The Tiger Moth, in the background, is the first kit to leave the shop. I used to build on the living room coffee

table; I am really enjoying my shop. It is already filled to the brim though.

Oscarcutlass top view.jpg

Spooky....... Just started building my Cutlass and I happen across this old thread! No point posting build pics as they will basically look just like everybody else's..But I will pop some pics up when its completed though. Mine will be the all balsa version. I'll be looking around for a suitable colour scheme , are the decal sets still available??

Hi Texas Flyer and Andy G.!

Looks good and surely it'll fly as expected. Send a photo of the maiden please! As for Andy's build, go for it and some snapshots will be welcome.

My model is still waiting for electronics (as well as the Can-Doo on another thread) and hasn't maidened yet. New professional demands, weather, Xmas and Easter and some good old plain laziness also come into the equation

Anyway, keep on watching this space.

Regards,

Paulo

Edited By Paulo Peres on 31/03/2016 16:43:34