Breitling MXS-R

I have been a fan of the Red Bull Air Race since 2004 and took an immediate liking to the Breitling MXS-R, flown by Nigel Lamb (GB).

red bull 2.jpgred bull 1.jpg

My dreams were not likely to become an RC reality however as my limited spare time is usually spent flying rather than builiding. Imagine my excitement to find a US company selling an ARTF a few years later!

A quick email to them dashed all that though as their licensing agreement with Breitling wouldn't allow them to ship outside of the US.
angry

Around a year later, I managed to find the manufacturer in China and one month later a coffin sized box arrived on my doorstep.
laugh

MXS-R Unboxing 1

MXS-R Unboxing 2

It was wonderfully packaged.

MXS-R Unboxing 3

Lego brick placed on the side of the box for scale.

MXS-R Unboxing 4

MXS-R Unboxing 5

Couldn't wait to push fit the main parts together, she already looked great.
The lack of a build manual was going to be the first challenge!

After a few months of head scratching, countless hours of research and shopping for all the components, she started coming together.

MXS-R Fitting

That cowl is huge! It easily fits over my head (don't ask how I know) wink

Edited By Allan Bowker on 07/06/2015 22:56:28

Advert

She's been fitted with a Mintor 38cc

Mintor 38cc Petrol

Mintor 38cc Petrol

• Displacement: 38cc
  • Power: circa 4.7 hp, with canister
  • Weight: 2.2 lbs (1kg)
  • Bore: 1.77 in
  • Stroke: 0.90 in
  • Length: 6.37 in (complete with spacers)
  • RPM Range: 1550 – 9000 RPM
  • Walbro Carburetor; 2 petal reed valve dynamic flow
  • Prop Range: 19x8 – 20x10
  • RCExel CDI Electronic Ignition
  • Fuel: unleaded petrol, oil 100% synthetic 2-stroke

Wingspan: 75.5" (26% scale of full size)
Receiver: Spektrum AR9110 DSMX PowerSafe (Dual Redundant Power)
Servos: Savox (Various)
CDI Power: Tech Aero Ultra IBEC

With today being such glorious weather it was finally time to finish running the engine in.

MXS-R 1

MXS-R 2

MXS-R Run-in 1

MXS-R Run-in 2

Maiden flight coming up...hopefully this week.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 07/06/2015 23:25:14

I support Paul Bonhomme mainly, but I was pleased that Lamb won the championship last year. I wish there were more Air race models, since there are only three types of aeroplane so only the schemes need to be done. They look brilliant!

The model is stunning, have you got any 26% sized pylons?! You need a smoke system too! I look forward to hearing about the maiden.

Does the MXS have any dihedral by the way?

CS

Concorde Speedbird:
There have been a number of Red Bull themed ARTF's over the years, just not advertised in the main stream. Usually you see the Edge Kirby Chambliss scheme copied a lot, however I did see the new Corvus racer that Peter Besenyei is championing. They are out there if you Google hard enough

There is no dihedral in the wing and a smoke system would be a good addition, maybe for next year?
26% scale pylons, now there's a thought.......maybe not, I'm not that good laugh

John:
Yes, seen the Glens Cap model, very nice too. At 62cc she must be a monster!

Adrian:
Thankfully most companies around the world conduct their international business in english.
I work for a german company and they do everything in english, regardless of which country our office operates.
The factory was easy to contact via email and they responded by directing me to one of their local online resellers. The airframe, shipping and custom charges came to about £250, so at the time, I was still saving loads on the US price of around $600

Bill:
I have seen this same airframe sold under a few names (Red Aero, AeroBeez, etc) The internal structures and dimensions are identical, so I can only assume they are all coming from the same factory (Skyline RC).
It wouldn't surprise me if GoldwingRC are also a reseller. Most do not have the Breitling logo anymore and do not reference Red Bull, I guess to avoid licensing fees and restrictions.

Incidentally, there was a slightly larger 50cc version by the same manufacturer a few years back.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 08/06/2015 11:43:22

• 4 weeks later...

The plane was £125 plus another £125 for shipping (luckily no customs charges were added this side), so I was quids in compared to prices with US retailers.

I ordered from SDS Hobby, however I couldn't recommend them (that's another story, see thread here).
Despite the hassle, it was worth it.

I have emailed the factory today to ask if they have any other distributors they can recommend to me.

Interesting website Allan. Got some nice planes on there. I did read the comments, but having ordered stuff before from the U.S. from other dealers. The one thing you need is 70pc patience and 30pc faith so if they have exactly what one requires and it is the only option I would say go for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Very nice, I'm a massive fan of the MX2 & MXS-R having been a fan previously of the much under-appreciated Giles from which the MX range are derived. One of the hallmark characteristics of the MX is its high set stab which unfortunately is not replicated on most models of the type, such a pity that your gorgeous bird also bears little resemblance to the full size. As a generic aerobatic model it is impressive but for me it's only an MX in name and livery.