Multiplex recall

Just in case anybody was not aware, Multiplex are recalling Evo and SX sets as the below notice.

Product Recall ROYALevo and COCKPIT SX

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
the brand name MULTIPLEX for 50 years has stood for high quality, innovative radio-gear for model purposes. Quality,
reliability and functionality were and still are MULTIPLEX standards.

As a result of this philosophy and in conjunction with our quality control management, it has been found that several
transmitters in the ROYALevo and COCKPIT SX series have suffered severe failures when being operated under
unfavourable conditions, and these failures were caused by a few components being of unreliable quality.

This could, in rare and extreme cases, result in a total functionality loss of the transmitter and therefore a loss of
control of the model (aircraft).

Effected are ROYAL evo and COCKPIT SX radios which were delivered or bought between 01.01.2007 and mid of
May 2008.

Not affected are radios which were delivered since end of May 2008. These radios are marked „MPX 08/05“
(Year/Month).

Due to safety reasons, we have decided to ask you to return the radios immediately, directly to Germany, so
they can be checked and overhauled. Please do not use them until they have been overhauled.

We will return your radios as soon as possible.

Please mark your parcel with „ RECALL ROYAL evo /COCKPIT SX “, so we can identify the radios on arrival to
receive preferential service and overhaul.

We thank you for your understanding with this issue.

As compensation for all the trouble we will perform a free service check (worth 40,- €) for all radios which are sent in to be
overhauled.

Enquiries please send to: [email protected]

Best regards
MULTIPLEX Modellsport GmbH & Co. KG
Dieter Wörner
Managing Director

Advert

It has taken a while, About 3 years since MPx knew about the problem.

I had a Royal Evo 9, one of the first. After  little use it crashed my Waco SHG-a,   The wire to the rudder pot failed, It developed another fault on one of the sliders. The factory found some other faults.

If the pots have a Yelow wire don't use it.   

After a little 'discussion'  Multiplex replaced the tX with an upgrade. The service was good and i am pleased and happy that i have now got a good tx. 

• 2 weeks later...
I don't find this very satisfactory. With memory sets, all your eggs are in the one basket. I have an Evo but I don't remember when I bought it. Yet, there are serial numbers on the case. Why can they not inform us which serial range is defective. The thought of sending my set back to Germany to join a queue with all the others just isn't worth considering at this time of year. I bought the set in the UK and I expect the UK agents to raise their heads above the parapet and offer advice. John P

It would have been nice if they had given us the address to send radios back to - can't see it on the return notice !!!!

Again they should have issued serials numbers of the transmitters they would like back !

My Cockpit SX is a great little transmitter - but this type of recall dents my confidence in Multiplex products

Hope they don't issue a recall on receivers !!

Woody

Latest post from Multiplex UK on another forum, looks like you can have them checked out in the UK, apparently best to phone first to check that they have the required parts etc. 

"Hi.

Following the announcement by Multiplex for the safety recall of all Cockpit Sx and Royal EVO radios purchased between 1st Jan 07 and 1st May 08, arrangements have now been made with our UK service agent to do the service check here in the UK.

Please return your transmitters to the following address;

Michael Ridley
C/O Mainly Planes 'N' Trains
6 Ashdown Road,
Chandlers Ford
Eastleigh, SO 53 5RD

07708 436163

[email protected]

UK postage will be compensated for with a Multiplex Nano-S servo, (Value £12.99) to cover the postage cost incurred to get it to Mike.  Return shipping is, of course free. Sets should be away for a minimal period as they are getting priority.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Gordon."

Note Germany return address is on the recall notice on the main Multiplex website, if you decide to go that route.

The crashes of my Wellington and  Seafury have perhaps now been explained. Multiplex putting their hand up does not compensate me. No one can prove who was at fault.

Trading standards tell me that the dealer or Multiplex must stand the cost of postage etc. As for having a free £40 service when the set is only 6 months old, what a cheak. If  they need that they are not fit for purpose (I have Futaba and JR sets that are years old and never put a foot wrong.) Something more tangible is required. Perhaps in my case the cost of the wrecked models!!!!!!! Here a pink pig just flew over, not controlled by Multiplex obviously.

John

Mne came back with two free servos to componsate for the postage (£12.60 to Germany),  I understood that the problem was sudden lose of the Tx, so if your problems were that your failsafe (i'm assuming you were using IPD Rx's) cut in that might be a possibility. But if the Tx carried on working then it may have been interference or something else.

Note my Tx had been fine but i sent it off as a precaution. 

I also understood that the problem was most apparent in hot humid conditions but MPX decided to recall all sets that could be affected. 

In reply to A.............,

Yes, I am that "Certain type of pilot." The certain type that has been flying radio control since 1975 ,bang ,bang through to proportional, ppm,pcm and the old uhf.  I am also the club's C.F.I  so have had a certain amount of experience. I DO NOT KNOW IT ALL and never will but have seen many disasters in my time and spent time with others trying to fathom them out.

In the past six years I have had four major crashes, one through my own idiocy, one through a shoot down and the two in question within the last fortnight. Those who were there at the time agree that the common denominator was the transmitter, in each  of the latter cases the pattern of events was the same. Now a few days later we find out that Multiplex have said there is a fault with the tansmitter, I need say no more.

During my 76 years, I have found that the "Certain type of person" that hides behind a pseudonym rarely has views that are worth taking seriously otherwise they would use their real names. Perhaps this one is an emplyee of Multiplex. I have no intention of continuing this type of correspondence any further. Hurling insults at one another does not rectify a serious problem  that could cause a fatal accident.

John, I've deleted his message which I've only just come across and has no place on this forum. My apologies that you were on the receiving end there - the user has been removed.  Stick around - it's normally a very friendly place here

Sorry to see you had a bad experience with the two models there - not a nice thing to happen.