Hss steel

john melia 1

i've just bought myself a wood lathe , to start learning some turning , bowls ect , just wondering where i can get a suitable 150mm grinding wheel for sharpening and shaping hss steel , seen a few "white" wheels on ebay but £38 !!! i think not , apparentley the standard wheels on the bench grinder will not do the job , as they can overheat the tip of the tool

i have a feeling this is going to tak e over as my number one hobby , so i may be selling all my flying stuff

Advert

John

An ordinary bench grinder will tackle HSS quite adequately but you just have to take it gently.

Actually hardened carbon steel (i.e. a wood chisel) is worse. Not that the wheel doesn't grind it but its hardness is permanently degraded by heat, much more so than HSS.

The 'high speed' in its name actually refers to its ability to remain hard at the higher temperatures resulting from higher cutting speeds.

White/green wheels are actually 'soft' releasing fresh cutting edges readily which why they cut well but they do need more 'dressing' to keep the wheel cutting edge flat and you really need diamond for that!

HSS can be ground on normal black wheels. In terms of heating cool the part in water as you go and take it slow. Don't let it get to the temperature where it discolours. White wheels are very soft and though will work they wear more quickly.

My other hobby is model engineering where I have made a few locos from scratch. I grind and sharpen lathe tools and drills made from HSS all the time with black wheels. No problem at all.

Cant go wrong with a white wheel. I have one on the right and a cheaper general purpose one on the left, coarse variety. Diamond sharpeners are mandatory, I'm afraid...!

Oddly enough I had a Bosch bench grinder that vibrated like hell.... I ditched it when I moved house and inherited my Dad's old one... god knows what make that is, some old cheapie Japanese thing... runs straight as a die!

Edited By Stevo on 20/06/2015 10:54:50