Beacon Hill, near Newbury

Anyone fly here regularly? I'm down south for a few days vacation shortly, and this Sunday (28th) looks great for a SW on the bowl. Just wondering what sort of power I'm likely to get from the 18-28mph winds currently forecast - so what to pack - PSS would be nice, or boring old sport models if needed.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Well, absolutely no responses, but I'm happy to help out others that may search this site or end up here via Google.

The walk to the top will get your heart pumping, and I wouldn't want to try it with anything bigger than my quarter scalies. Parking at the bottom is easy - alongside the A34 essentially, or slightly around the bend there is a bigger (and quieter) parking bay.

At the top then, there is a lovely W to SW bowl, which seems quite powerful. Very thermic when I flew so would be nice on those nearly windless days too. Landing out isn't a problem, though requires a hike off to the left then back again if dumping it on the centre face of the bowl.

For N to NE winds there is a very steep, very well shaped bowl, where you fly over some farm buildings right at the bottom. I am definitely coming back for this one - it looks like a lot of fun.

Landing-wise, getting onto the top where it is flatter seems to work well, though I did find a nice little patch on left when looking out on the SW bowl that sufficed as at that point I was standing on the lower path.

I'd give it a 6/10 for the SW bowl - it could be bigger, and the walk will leave you breathless. Would fly again