paint

Alan Pennington

Advert

What are you using it for Alan ? It seems a bit of a contradiction as Polyurethane is synthetic and Oil based paints are natural. The only similar combination I can think of would be Hammerite, which I think is a combination of oil based and cellulose. However when you get into paint chemistry there are all sorts of exotic materials being produced these days. We have painted many different things over the years and come across some very unusual coatings (some of them you couldn't really call paint !).

kevinb.

Hello Kevin b

I'm looking for something to paint on after I've painted an aircraft to stop the exhaust muck from softening the paint, because I followed the information when I built a tiger moth in a mag which said he had used car paint and I'm finding its coming off along the area of the exhaust.

I was talking to somebody in Norway and he uses this polyurethanemodified oil paint over the colour to seal it. Looking at the information it seems to be a varnish for floors, one brand I've found is Minwax as and you can see on the can it's a polyurethanemodified oil paint and its water base so easy to clean equipment afterwords.

Alan

Edited By Alan Pennington on 24/06/2015 08:02:41

Hi Alan, It's a coomon problem, less so nowadays, with all the electric sorcery. There are many fuelproofers available, so you'll get many divergant opinions. I use Solarlac, which is easily available

ernie

PS never seen it before

I know there are many fuelproofers out there but living in France I've found model shops are like hens teeth my nearest is 2 hours away and does not all ways have it in and to post things here can be 3 times the price of the product, so if I can find something in a DIY shop all the better as thay are only 20 min away and you can get larger sizes and better prices for I believe you can some times pay through the nose for items which is designed for one job were as an other item works just as well for half the price.