Ambitious upgrades

Stevo

So, Whats themost ambitious upgrade you have done to an otherwise stock airframe? did it work?

For example adding an extra wing to a Flair Pup and calling it a Flair Tripe, (One for Mr Hooper).. gluing two mustangs together and creating an XP-82...or even making a Flair Baronnette and not covering it red...

Just a bit of fun!

Advert

Friend and I had along running "competition" lasting several years to see who could come up with the most extreme plane based on a cheap slovakian made childrens chuck glider, the Fik. These were sold from 450mm to 2000mm span, EPP foam.

Amongst the planes I made were a "Panic"alike biplane that could be held vertical and let go to launch on a quarter throttle, and a Canard which had a 800 main wing and a 450 canard cut down with smaller dihedral tips. These all looked horrendous, speckled colour EPP, but flew really well.

I used a 800mm one with a 1000mm main wing as a trainer for a school kids club. It would fly more than 30 minutes on a tiny 800mAh 3S, 2204 Suppo motor, and still be able to loop from level flight at the end of it. I also modded some for RC assist bungee launch so they could "fly" solo in safety.

So...I had a 40 size Great Planes Stick with a 60 sized electric plant. It went really well until I muffed up the recovery from inverted flight and broke it. So I got another and powered it the same. Then I got to looking at the remains. I rebuilt the smashed wing half, and put a nacelle on each wing and powered it with a pair of 30 sized electric motors. The maiden was really promising, until the rudder and fin failed. I think the sequence was that the rudder split just above the horn, then fluttered until it broke the fin away, just when I nearly had it down. Damage was not too bad and it is nearly ready to try again, this time with improved rudder and fin, which I would say is a bit of a weak point in the original design. The rudder has the grain going the wrong way, and the piece of the fin that glues into the slot in the fuselage also has the grain going long ways, so it is not very strong. Both can easily be improved with a few cocktail sticks glued into holes.

I know other people have built twin engined Sticks, so I don't claim originality, but it would be the most radical mod I have done. An overpowered Stick, whether twin or single engine, is a lot of fun to fly.

John