Shortening leads

Andy.I

I'm putting together a couple of HET Flying Wings.

The motors I have chosen are Turnigy SK3 2836-1040 and the ESCs are Turnigy Plus 30A.

There's not a lot of clearance inside the nose and I'd like to ensure that the motor's leads do not foul the motor. Things would be easier, not to mention a lot neater, if I could shorten the three power output leads of the ESC power output leads to the motor.

I think I've read that this is inadvisible because these leads are in effect an extension of the motor's windings.

Could anybody kindly advise me on this please?

Edited By Andy.I on 12/07/2015 12:17:30

Advert

Sortening the leads on the ESC rather than the motor is best advice as sometimes the varnish is difficult to clean off the motor wires. However if you want a really neat job - establish which wires are right for correct running direction, unsolder the connectors then make direct soldered connections between ESC & motor with some heatshrink over the joints. By losing the connectors you might not need to shorten the wires but if you do the opening advice applies.