Learning to fly alone

Ernie

• 8 months later...
Posted by Marc Humphries on 11/06/2008 14:17:00:

If you join, you know what will happen:

1. You'll buy an anorak
  2. You'll start wearing a cowboy hat
  3. You'll start shopping in Wilkinson's for "a bargain"
  4. Caravans will suddenly be seen as "a cost effective way of having a holiday".

You have been warned

i think im nearly ready

Posted by Martin Keeley on 04/04/2014 20:23:02:
Posted by Marc Humphries on 11/06/2008 14:17:00:

If you join, you know what will happen:

1. You'll buy an anorak
  2. You'll start wearing a cowboy hat
  3. You'll start shopping in Wilkinson's for "a bargain"
  4. Caravans will suddenly be seen as "a cost effective way of having a holiday".

You have been warned

i think im nearly ready

1. I am strictly a fleece type of guy

2. I have No desire to be American or bear any similarity to one

3. Ah! Yes! Well!

4. Ooops! blush I think I'd better leave now.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the very well written article. Loved it.

Back in the seventies I tried learning self built gliders alone but after quite a few crashes I was lucky to find a mentor which really turned around my skills. He was a great pilot but above all a great person. Miss him and will always remember him fondly.

Ciao from a rainy Rome.

I learnt to fly alone 5 years ago my first plane was the parkzone spitfire in which I had 1 lesson from me unlce who owns the balsa cabin so that gave me more encouragement to get into model flying 5years later and thoudands spent id do it the same again I've been to clubs an they tend to be very critical an way to involved I don't wanna build I just like to fly simple as that I now have trained at least 3 friends to fly on the skills I learnt myself the only positive from someone else teaching you is they can tell you the 5 famous words buy a trainer plane first😀

• 3 months later...
Posted by Ben ranson 1 on 15/06/2014 08:53:52:
I learnt to fly alone 5 years ago my first plane was the parkzone spitfire in which I had 1 lesson from me unlce who owns the balsa cabin so that gave me more encouragement to get into model flying 5years later and thoudands spent id do it the same again I've been to clubs an they tend to be very critical an way to involved I don't wanna build I just like to fly simple as that I now have trained at least 3 friends to fly on the skills I learnt myself the only positive from someone else teaching you is they can tell you the 5 famous words buy a trainer plane first��

I have gone it alone from day one against sensible advice from most. I have however spent time on a good simulator and trawled through forums for advice. I was almost ready to give up after my second outing and another heavy crash, but I got past my silly mistakes and now feel like I have a fairly good understanding of what to do. I think my random choice of beginner plane (Parkzone Radian) was the best thing I did as this must be one of the most forgiving and easiest planes for a beginner to start with. I am still learning with it and love it. I do plan to join a club in the near future though as I think you can only go so far on your own.

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 08/10/2014 19:34:18

• 11 months later...

Hey Fellas,

I just thought i would share my experience with you guys as im new to the whole thing.

I am in the process of converting from electric to IC soon, i haven't had much experience in the way of proper air time, but i have had roughly 25-30hrs on phoenix simulator with the spektrum DX5. I would say i'm fairly proficient in getting a model back to the ground safely.

I have never buddy boxed, all self taught.

I have an art-tech wing-tiger V2 which i have 33 flights on (havent crashed it yet) I flew it yesterday in very gusty conditions at the local flying field and kept the beast in good form.

I spoke to a few guys on here about getting a sports model like the seagull .40 because i dont want to fly a boxey trainer anymore. I explained my flying status to them and they said go for it!

Any more input would be gratefully accepted

Many thanks in advance

Ryan

Edited By Ryan Sharp on 21/09/2015 18:55:32

I too learned mostly on my own, about 50 years ago! I too would say "go for it", but with a couple of provisos! 1) Make sure your insurance is up to date! 2) Only attempt this in an isolated location - well away from people or property - but make sure you have a "safety person" with you in case you gash your fingers in the prop! Its all too easy to put your fingers through the prop removing the glow lead or fiddling with the needle-valve! This is the voice of experience!

Finally - a word of advice - if the model is getting away from you, DITCH IT! Just throttle it right back and get it down as quickly as possible. Models are replaceable - people aren't!

You will find the simulator very different from the real thing. In the real world, the models don't vanish as quickly, and they are more easily disturbed by atmospheric conditions. There is no "reset" button! Take-offs are optional, landings are compulsory! Don't attempt it unless conditions are as near perfect as you can get.

When you do your first solo, it will give you a buzz you won't forget in a lifetime. Best of luck!

--

Pete

• 2 months later...

Yes you can teach yourself.

I used a simulator for a while when weather was bad.

Flew a small foam glider to begin with....nice and light and very durable. Nine eagles sky surfer.

Built a small balsa fun flyer called diddlerod and flew it with no problems,also light and just a 10g outgunned,fantastic little slow flyer.

I built a small glider also and flew this an awful lot. Had a few crashes with all 3 but nothing that some glue couldn't sort out. Once you pick a good model and a calm day for most flights you have a better chance to learn. Forget the windy days and keep the model in one piece.

Indeed

Learning to fly alone is possible. Especially with all the latest gizmos attached. The issue is.... In no time you will be bored flying on your own and throwing loops and rolls etc etc..

You'll go along to a club and oh no you're flying isn't good anymore, you'll find yourself breaking all sorts of rules and unable to keep a circuit with other pilots.

I believe in the old fashioned way and that's go to a club, learn the proper way and then if you want you can fly on your own but at least you'll also have a welcoming club to fall back on for support and friends!

It's like learning to drive a car. You learn the proven way and then you're let loose having the concrete knowledge plumbed in.

Good luck

Regards

Scott

Edited By scott finnie on 29/11/2015 14:15:12