Overlander Sukhoi SU-29

Didnt push it so only had 2x 5 min flighs puting an average of 900mah back is whole power train was cold so all signs are good for a comfatible 10 min flight  will hofully give it a good thrashing tonight at weston if the wind drops abit

Timbo was there for the secound flight but was flying at the time so dont know if he saw much to comment on

BB

Advert

Didnt really see it fly much due to twiddling my own sticks - but what I saw of it was very nice, the model looks nice, weighs very little for its size and is nicely designed and constructed. One thing I did remark on was the large 14 x 7 prop, which I am sure will provide excellent flight response especially for 3D type stuff, but likely impact is a high current drain on the powertrain.  I seem to recall he said the PWR was around 200 watts per lb !! That motor is rated at 700 Watts - so allowing for the fact that weight will obviously increase, it could be run on 4s for incredible performance, but then personally, I always believed these types of model were designed to be kept light for best flight characteristics.

I think from memory barnesyboy was using a 2300 mahr 3s pack, so depending on flight style ... I think 10 minutes may be a bit optimistic on the14 X 7. 

Mark does throw 'em around a bit can tell you   - but he is a good pilot.

Just to clarify what Tim said with the 14x7 its pulling just over 400watt so at present its around 133 watt PP,

If i was able to fit a bigger prop to get to around 700watt yes the flight time would be minimal but have a huge 230ish WPP

Think ill leave as is lol

BB

So on the 14 x 7 prop and a 3s battery, if you are consuming 400W+ then your pulling around 38Amps at WOT.

On a 2300 mahr pack this would mean around 5 minutes at aggressive throttle settings -

Either I have got your pack size wrong, or you are using very good throttle management .

Barnesyboy wrote (see)
*cough my new*cough,  sukhoi will not be built in 1 night either

Oh dear...what happened then mate ?

I went for the Extra 300 from BRC in the end - afraid I received my usual "service" when I dropped in to the overtec tent...say no more . You really ought to have a chat with ollie about my remarks perhaps? Sorry off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I now have 4-5 flights on the Suk MK2 and all is well, Im very impressed with the way it flys,

Not done alot of 3d with it as I dont think it looks right and IMHO the extra dose it better, its a suk
and should be flown like a suk lots of tumbles and spins which it performs faultlessly, snaps are great and stop dead where you want them too, KE requires so little coupling i havent bothered with a mix but it dose require some power to stop it falling,

Landing is once again a breeze it slows right up with no hint of a wing drop, so all is good

Best bit is the price has now droped to £69.99 Bargin if you ask me couple that with the motor and esc Thumper setup for £55 and its a winner

So to sumerise if you want a 3d ship go with the Extra that David reviewed in RCM&E as ive flown one , and if you want more of a IMAC`er go with the Suk IMHO

More pics when i get `um and some vid when i find a camera man although i feel it wont get as many views as the first one unless i crash into somthing

Cheers BB<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

right been able to do some comparison tests so

thumper 3542 1250kv on an apc 12x6 pulls 350watt at 42amps

thumper 3548 900kv swinging a 14x8 apc pulls 415watt at 38amps 

So going forward im putting the 3548 back in as i can swing a bigger prop without hurting duration for better airflow over the control surfaces

Regards

BB 

• 3 months later...

Nice pic's Barns.

I have the same plane but the canopy fell off and broke...to big of a pilot...poor sponge bob didn't make it hehe.I have since then reconstructed the canopy with the half that was left.It looks OK but it would be nice to get a replacement canopy do you know where to get one?