Cambrian Hurricane Funfighter setup Thanks for looking

At last weekends LMA show at Cosford I bought a Cambrian Models Hurricane Funfighter and a Logic RC Fusion 3535/09 900kv motor to give electric flight a go with some kit building. The ic version is designed for a 0.21 to 0.25 two stroke so looking at the tech specs for the motor the equivalent set up would be on a 4S Li-Po with a 10 x 5 prop.

This gives 344W at 9,900rpm, drawing 20.5A which they say is equivalent to a 0.22 2 stroke. I was looking at matching this with a 40A ESC.

Does this setup look ok for this model please or can anyone recommend a more suitable prop etc. for this model and motor combo? I'm looking to fly the model more scale like rather than all out speed. Thanks for looking.

Edited By John Rose on 21/07/2015 21:05:57

Advert

I also emailed Steve at Cambrian Models who was very helpful and he recommended a 9 x 6 prop with a 3S Li-Po and a 50A ESC as a starting point but can anyone tell me what this would do to the rpm, current draw and power output with this combination please?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first electric model, thanks

Hi John,
I think Steve's recommendation is a good one for a '0.20-0.25' 2 stroke electric equivalent.
In a Sig Kobra I use a 3542-1250 motor with a 3S 3700mAH Lipo, 60A ESC & 9x6 prop.
This draws around 38A or so on full pelt for 400W. Lots of numbers there face 1.
Different types of prop, battery age & condition etc can alter power considerably
so this is just a guide.

The Kobra does fly superbly on this power and is about the same size as a funfighter.

Posted by John Rose on 22/07/2015 08:19:00:

I also emailed Steve at Cambrian Models who was very helpful and he recommended a 9 x 6 prop with a 3S Li-Po and a 50A ESC as a starting point but can anyone tell me what this would do to the rpm, current draw and power output with this combination please?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first electric model, thanks

If the KV for the motor is reasonably accurate then I doubt if that combination would produce the power you need, looks like it would be lucky to give 200W. If you use a 3s battery the prop size would need to be around 11" or 12", which might not be practical for this model.

The figures given by Logic RC using a 10x5 on 4s are what I'd expect. IMO that combo with a 40A ESC should be about right. Best to bench test whatever you decide with a wattmeter (or at least an Ammeter) in circuit to check that the max motor current isn't exceeded. In this case 25A for prolonged periods.

Thanks for the replies, I've taken your advice and have a wattmeter and a 10 x 5 prop and 40A ESC on order; Once I've bench tested the setup I'll post the results here in case others can make use of them - I may just order a 9 x 6 and a 12 x 6 just to see what the results are and what sort of difference prop and battery size makes with this motor (bearing in mind the 25A limit). Thanks again.