Turnigy 9X range issues?

Odd! We'll try a different way. Start the radio in bootloader mode, then plug in the USB cable. You should see two hard drives, one is the SD card. Check there is a directory on the SD card called "Firmware", if not create one.

Now copy the .bin file into the Firmware directory. Next, unplug the USB and use the "Flash Firmware option in the bootloader to update the firmware. You need to use a LONG press of the menu button to select and confirm the operations.

After flashing, power off the radio then restart it.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 09/12/2018 17:16:37

Advert

OK, that worked, we now have 14 pages!

On debug page last two numbers on 4th line from bottom with TX switch ON are 26EO 0001

with TX switch OFF (but still battery connected) "shutting down" msg with a regular flash of "EPROM busy" and a line of numbers along the bottom 0 0 1 0 0 0

Switching off battery screen goes blank.

Allan

I've posted a new test version for you to try. This adds a couple of numbers to the "Shutting Down" screen. I'll need to know what these numbers are.

You may flash this test version the same way you did the previous version.

At some point, you could update the bootloader. This is done by powering the radio on holding the two horizontal trims APART, which enters "Maintenance Mode" where you have an option to update the bootloader from the file on the SD card.

It is looking as though you have power coming in from the trainer port, or a short to the trainer port power signal. This is on the "Back Board", the board in the back shell of the case. At the bottom is a 10-way connection. The "Trainer Power" signal is the 5th from the right. Please check there is no obvious short (e.g. solder splash) on that connection.

Mike

Flashed the new test firmware.

Tx switch OFF =2580 0000 BUT after checking the 10 pin connector and cleaning between pins, the Tx ON/OFF switch functioned correctly for a couple of switch-ons, but not switch-offs: same "shutting down" and "EEPROM busy messages. Now numbers have changed to 2680 0000 and switch malfunctioning as before.

Tx switch ON = 26EO 0001 before cleaning connector and now 26CO 0001. By cleaning I mean wiping between tracks with a stiff brush and blowing hard!

I don't see me ever using the trainer port. How can it be disabled if that's the problem?

Allan

There is a 10-way cable going from the back board to the 9Xtreme board. It plugs in to the right sided of the 9Xtreme. Pin 1 is to the top of the board. The switched trainer power is on pin 5 (a yellow wire on my radio).

If you have a 3.5mm jack plug, you could try plugging this into the trainer socket a few times to see if that clears the problem.

To disconnect this, unplug the connector, then using a pin or a needle, gently lift the small "tongue" that holds the crimp terminal in the housing and pull the 5th wire out. Wrap the exposed terminal in insulating tape.Now plug the 10-way cable back in and test again.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike, normal service has been resumed! I would never have dreamt my problem could be fixed at such a distance, and I shall do the PayPal thing right away! I don't have a 3.5 mm jack trainer socket, it looks more like a centre pin charging socket on my TX, but of course there isn't a charging socket.....

The next chapter is finding the Orange module and the software switches to fire it up. As I said earlier it seems to be connected to the 9xtreme board but I haven't looked for it yet on the screen. This probably isn't the last you'll hear from me.......

Is there another flash required for the latest version?

Allan

I've managed to sort out quite a few problems remotely.

The only differences between the version you have flashed and the latest test version are the extra numbers being displayed, so you don't need to update unless you want to get rid of those numbers.

Go to the protocol menu, select the internal module, then just tick the box to enable it. Power should be switched on to the module and a PPM signal sent to it.

The Orange modules did have a problem, and mat still have it, where some BNF models would not respond to the throttle.

Mike

OK, you make it sound very easy! Can you have power to both modules at once? I thought they would interfere with each other. I think I'd remove the original now that it's modded.

Been reading some of your OpenRC posts re the Orange module and throttle, so I hope mine is new enough to be OK. Otherwise there's a long road ahead......BNF was the main reason for fitting it!

Have a great week,

Allan

PS my email is [email protected], saves all this logging on stuff!

• 2 months later...

Good evening Mike,

After several months since we last talked Turnigy/9Xtreme, I have been studying the programming options. Setting up my Turnigy 9X for a UMX Beast via the Orange module, I now find that the module seems to have died as no bind or flashing led's on the Tx. Beast flashes away waiting for a bind but zippo from the TX.

Could I have done something during the programming? Both modules are ON for the model and Orange gets 11 volts from 9Xtreme board. On the brink of binning it all and going Spektrum.....

Allan Morris

Thanks guys, Mike the internal is the diy Orange which did work before and the stock Turnigy plugin module with aerial mod. I was led to believe both modules could be on together. Both would bind OK after I had finished the Orange installation, with your expert help, BUT the Turnigy receiver never STAYED bound.

Denis, unfortunately I don't have a second Spektrum protocol Tx for testing the Beast, though the model and an Orange rx did bind OK originally, as above, BUT with no throttle response.

HOWEVER, during my inept attempts to find a correct channel order for the Beast I did generate an engine response and the little blighter flew off the bench, with no damage...... I cannot remember how I did that.......!

At that point I sat down to REALLY study the er9x manual, and now nothing works!!!

NO throttle response Only, is a very good sign Allan

As the model, at that time detected Throttle ON, so protected you by giving No Throttle

As the Throttle was reversed

If this sequence works again, tether the Beast, and reverse the throttle.

All the signs are that you are not far away from a solution

Note:
OrangeRX Modules use a unique Global ID for binding. Incase of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module. There are over 4 billion unique ID's assigned to OrangeRx modules

1. Setup Taranis with normal 6 channels (TAER and Channel 6 are the only important ones) 
2. Force module into DSM2 mode (triple press to change modes - see instructions) 
3. Set PPM rate to 30.5ms, set channels to 1-12 (this should be done if you have 12 output 
channels) 
4. Bind 
5. FLY!!!!

You may want to change ID before binding to another model to make sure that if you accidently turned previous model 
ON with settings for the new model, the previous one will not respond to your radio transmitter.

Buzzer indicates the status and the mode of the Tx module. When it is powered ON in presence of PPM signal (normal operation) you should 
hear three short beeps. If you powered your radio and don’t hear three short beeps that means your radio probably doesn’t output the PPM 
signal. The reasons for the radio not outputting PPM signal can be: 
- Your radio is not set up to output PPM signal; 
- Sticks, and/or switches are not in their initial position – throttle might be high or switches for landing gear/flaps/throttle hold are not in proper position. Check your switches and sticks position. 
During binding procedure upon successful binding the module will also make three short beeps. With unsuccessful binding it will be a single long beep.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 06/03/2019 14:19:27

Yes you may have both modules active, but when binding it is advisable to only have the one module operating to avoid it being "swamped" by the other module.

As I understand it, there is a known problem with the Orange module and some BNF models where the throttle never works. I don't have any BNF models so I can't test that myself, and anyway, all my Orange modules have been re-flashed to use the Multiprotocol firmware!

Did the Orange module have a flashing LED before and now doesn't?

Mike

Yes Mike, led did flash and bind was good a few weeks ago, now no flashing and no bind to Beast or orange rx on the bench.

I think it's dead..... unless there's anything hidden in my fiddling with the programming that could disable it....

It's set to PPM and all the default parameters are untouched.