Just a quickie

Was wondering if it is possible to Y lead 2 x 2 cell lipo

batteries via a suitable regulator directly into the Bind/Data port

of a DSMX 8000 RX. This will then provide me with eight working channels

Advice would be appreciated.

Les..

Edited By Les Turrall 2 on 28/07/2015 20:11:54

Advert

Les, why are you planning to use 2 lipos, if it is for redundancy you'd be better off going through a switch which checks the lipo voltage and shuts off a faulty lipo. If you just Y lead them and one goes faulty then it will at best draw down the good lipo and worst cause a short across the good lipo.

Several people do switches for 2 lipo operation, eg Multiplex, Jeti, Powerbox etc

In my larger gliders, I've gone over to using a single 2S LiFe battery without a regulator and a high capacity safety switch.

If you do go with 2 Lipos I wouldn't Y lead them together but go though a dual switch as above if your aim is redundancy, but if all you want is the additional capacity you could Y lead them together providing they are both in the same state of charge. 

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 28/07/2015 22:17:21

HI Frank,

Thanks for your input.

Sorry my post may have been a little unclear. I will be running a two X 2 cell lipo setup through a powerbox Gemini regulator switch.

I wondered if it was acceptable to join the two power outputs to a Y lead and then simply plug into the RX bind/data port, thereby allowing all eight channels to be utilised for the aircraft and just using the single bind/data port just for the power input.Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Les.

You can connect the LiPo's in parallel as long as they are of the same voltage and capacity - there are loads of parallel adaptors available or you can make your own

But be aware that if one LiPo drops voltage before the other the good one will try and "charge" the bad one and you may experience a voltage drop

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 29/07/2015 08:13:42

Posted by Les Turrall 2 on 29/07/2015 08:03:28:

HI Frank,

Thanks for your input.

Sorry my post may have been a little unclear. I will be running a two X 2 cell lipo setup through a powerbox Gemini regulator switch.

I wondered if it was acceptable to join the two power outputs to a Y lead and then simply plug into the RX bind/data port, thereby allowing all eight channels to be utilised for the aircraft and just using the single bind/data port just for the power input.Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Les.

Les, that would be no problem, but you could also Y lead the 2nd battery in with one of the servo outputs, that way you'd get even more redundancy and reduce the current at the Rx battery in port. The reason that manufacturers put in two leads from these switches is that they are able to deliver more current than a single plug is rated for. Multiplex on their single lead safety switch rate this at 6A and the switch with dual leads into the Rx at 12amps, so if you plugged the two leads in separately (the 2nd Y leaded to a control servo, retracts maybe) then you'd share the current at each connection to the Rx.

Thank you both Dave and Frank for your help and advice.

Just to be safe I will use both the bind/date port and a servo port for the dual power supply and Y lead a control surface, probably aileron.

I don't know enough about electronics to take a chance.

Thank you all once again for the help and advice.

Kind Regards.

Les.

Hi Frank,

I finished setting it up today with the two power leads going from the Powerbox switch

to the Bind/Data port and the other into the Gear port.

Ailerons on a Y lead unfortunately.

only got a DX8 and and a DSMX 8000RX.

The plane has a choke servo which has been the cause of enquiries.

I needed all eight channels to have dual servos on aileron, hence the need to see if I could put both power inputs to the Bind/Data port, via a Y lead.

The plane is a Hangar 9 Carden Extra

Thank you once again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Les..

Les, I'm not too familiar with the Dx8, but there's no problem Y leading the second power lead in with another servo, e.g. throttle, choke, rudder etc etc It will still power the Rx and that servo, the +ve and -ve pins on all servo connections and the battery/bind socket are all connected internally, that way you can use the full 8 channels.

Frank,

Many thanks once again...Fully understand now.

Your patience and technical knowhow has been appreciated.

Wasn't too happy about Y leads on the flying surfaces ( aileron ),

because of the need to be able to fine tune each servo individually.

Thanks again for your help.

Got to start again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards.

Les.