Onboard GoPro footage from my Radian Glider...

Paul Knights

Advert

Posted by Andy G. on 12/09/2015 08:25:50:

Hi Paul, nice to see some footage from the south side of the island, especially the old abandoned holiday camp. I fly from the north east coast, Culver, keep meaning to look elsewhere for good sites, especially for filming from. Andy.

Hi Andy, ...'went up Culver a few times over the summer but I have yet to fly from there. The Pepperpot / St Catherines Down is a nice landscape and I shot some film up there but have yet to edit and upload it. A budget FPV set up for my glider is on the way so hopefully that will encourage a bit more low level flying and dramatic footage when I get it set up. I think we are lucky here with the choice of landscape in a fairly condensed area, ...Paul

Posted by Rex Dyer on 12/09/2015 09:13:10:

Great film but the Radian seems to have succumbed to the Danny Rivet Syndrome. Otherwise, is this a new form of psoriasis ???????????????

Thanks ...I wasn't quite sure what 'Danny Rivet Syndrome' meant and I had to look up 'psoriasis'..!! but I get your point now! - That bird has taken a lot of abuse in the 3 years I've had it and sure enough it is covered liberally with reinforced packing tape, Gorilla glue and a couple of BBQ skewers running under the canopy; The canopy doesn't sit square because the fuse is about 1" shorter than when I first had it due to a number of dose dives in the early days, an elastic band keeps it in place and a couple of popsicle sticks are used as splints in the broken tail. .....but she still flies

Posted by Area 51 on 12/09/2015 09:54:48:

Great video Paul , thanks for sharing and well done.. fancy having a go myself.. what do you use to edit the movie for its short/as you want it to be? I'm need to all that.. but have the gopro and have never flown with it.

Hi, ...Thanks and glad you enjoyed the video. I use Cyberlink Power Director 10 because that runs ok on my old PC, but I'm sure it could equally easily have been edited on the standard 'Windows Movie Maker' software or Go Pro Studio.

The Gopro is an awesome piece of kit for sure but I had a few trial flights over empty fields before plucking up the nerve to chuck £400- of kit off the cliff edge and over the sea..!!

Posted by vic evans 1 on 12/09/2015 10:48:50:

Nice vid. but the 'plane gets in the waysmiley

I've tried all ways to keep the 'plane out of shot & find a forward facing camera mounted under the body by the UC or cockpit mounted camera on a pusher the best.

How do you folk manage it?

Hi Vic, ...I think I have to disagree. Let's face it for pure controlled, uninterupted and stable aerial filming you can't beat the quadcopters. So with a glider why not have it in shot and enjoy the grace of fixed wing flight.?

Edited By Paul Knights on 15/09/2015 22:38:39