Balance of power

I have just come to Electric R/C after Free Flight in the 50s. Can anyone tell me why the balance lead on a FlightPower Evo25-15002S has one black and 3 red leads. The black seems to be battery -ve (0v), the first red is inter-cell (3.7v), and the second red is battery +ve (7.4v). The third red seems redundant and to need no connection to the balance charger. Help please!

Advert

Its so they dont have to provide a 2 s socket on the chargers and balancers...they just utilise the 3s socket for both a 2s and 3s pack, with 4th wire redundant.

As for colours well there as many variations as there are grains of sand in the world - ( slight exaggeration )

• 5 months later...
Like many others I am so frustrated with the differing types of balancing plugs fitted to batteries, the incompatability of plugs causes unecessary practicle headaches in addition to the technical ones when buying new batteries. Does anyone know if there is someone out there that sells a kit/selection of the most popular adaptors